1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

London disruption planned for Monday 15th April

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

It might come to nothing but for the week starting Monday 15th April a group of middle-class, middle-aged hippies calling themselves 'Extinction Rebellion' will be travelling from Oxford &c in an attempt to disrupt major junctions, roads & bridges in central London.

Given that these hippies have planned their 'rebellion' as though it were some kind of sociological tabletop game I do not hold out much hope for their popular support but I want my London pals & chums to be aware of the possibility of disruption.

There are clearly legitimate concerns around climate change but 'Extinction Rebellion' are essentially a beard for anarchists

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

How will they be travelling? Bikes? Walking?

If it's a fossil fuel vehicle of any kind then I shall smugly drive around more just to spite them! [kidding before this upsets people]

3. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Thanks for the notice. Weve had students, cyclists, mini cab drivers, black cab drivers, algerians, remainers, leavers disrupting the capital recently so another bunch of disruptors wont make much difference. Then weve got our hard working tube workers, who will probably reject a 2.5% pay offer and go on strike as they regularly do.

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Yes indeed. Us Londoners are used to every group protesting about something turning up here aiming to 'disrupt London'. Fortunately the Met Police are very experienced in managing protests to balance the rights of protesters with the rights of Londoners to get on with their daily lives. Anyway it only ever affects a small area of central London, not where we actually live. Thanks for the heads up Vince. As you say, climate change is real and an important issue so I don't object to them bringing it to public notice (again) but I don't see how that justifies the vandalism at 13:38 on Vince's clip (for example).

JL48 likes this.
  5. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Crowds of people wondering around getting other peoples’ way? That is London

les25paul, EmanuelShadrack and nomad like this.
  6. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Social Calendar 2019.

6th April: Boat Race.
    15th April: Extinction Rebellion Demo London.
    14th June: Cendrillion at Glyndebourne.
    18th June: TransInYourFace Rally And Demo.
    7th July: Henley Regatta.
    2nd August: ProVegan Rally And Demo.
    5th August: Jools Annual Hootenanny.
    24th December: Carols From Kings.
    31st December: Anti Pork League Terror Attack.

7. burajda

burajda Star commenter

No, they wander around getting in Londoners' way.

Stiltskin and colpee like this.
  8. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Who's social calendar is that?

9. Vince_Ulam

The spray-painting at 04:36? Yes. I hope Gail was prosecuted.

10. Vince_Ulam

ER in Parliament last Monday:

11. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

What part of stand on the right is hard to understand? And take your rucksack off on the tube.

12. CWadd

CWadd Lead commenter

Heh. Never forgot the time I was on my way to work on the Tube, only for a crowd of public school kids (yes, they were in uniform, and I noticed the badges) rah-rahing at deafening volume about how they were going to join a big Union demonstration to "support the workers" and brandishing their copies of Das Kapital. I laughed so hard I missed my stop. Bum.

(Am I a class warrior? I am if you're so blatantly hypocritical its funny...)

To the OP - these demos from this group have been happening for a few months now. Most people ignore them, but thanks for the heads up. :)

13. Vince_Ulam

I acknowledge that Londoners are accustomed to some measure of disruption. ER are planning a week of this but, if they get their wish and many people are arrested, I doubt they would have sufficient bums to cause a disruption.

It annoys me that at a time when policing is stretched everywhere these middle-class LARPers have planned deliberately to waste police time with their arrests and public funds on their subsequent processing. I hope examples are made of them.

14. RebellingforLife

RebellingforLife New commenter

XR are planning more than a week of disruption and it's not just London that is targeted. There is no more pressing issue and our government is criminal in their negligence.

This is a more up to date video for you Vince

15. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Wandering or really wondering? :D

16. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Oh yeah, never noticed. A misspell, but in the context probably just as accurate!

needabreak likes this.
  17. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Michael Gove’s...

18. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

As I will not be anywhere near London I do not care one jot. Even if I were to be there I would just avoid the areas concerned. Much ado about nothing;)

19. Vince_Ulam

Seen it, and seldom have I seen such someone with such an unjustified sense of their own cleverness. I expect the authorities have made a study of it too such that if anything criminal or injurious happens on these days then the CPS does not have to look far to assign intent & responsibility.

Enjoy your LARPing.

20. sparklesparkle

sparklesparkle Established commenter

I can't help noticing they are all of a certain age. They also appear to be eccentrics with exceptionally simplistic views.

I wonder if these demos are a chance for them to recover their lost youth. How many of them were on anti-apartheid or CND marches in the 80s?

Don't they have family that will miss them over the holiday? Wouldn't the grandkids prefer them to be at home opening their vegan, fairtrade Easter eggs?

lexus300 and Vince_Ulam like this.