1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

London commuters

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Trendy Art, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Trendy Art

Trendy Art Star commenter

A question for those who take the train to work in Inner London from Greater/outside the capital.

Someone I know has just got a new job and has to travel to Zone 1 every day to their new school using the train and underground from Zone 5.

What is the cheapest way for teachers who commute to London? Is it to:
    • Get an annual season ticket
    • Pay monthly/weekly to coincide with term time
    • Pay as you go on an Oyster each day
    Thanks in advance to any other colleagues who can help and I will pass on the info.

2. MacGuyver

MacGuyver Occasional commenter

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Don't they ever travel on a London bus tube tram or train outside term time?

Piranha likes this.
  4. Trendy Art

Trendy Art Star commenter

They might occasionally use them in the holidays, but they drive where they live too. Are you suggesting the season ticket is the way to go @Rott Weiler?

5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I don't know the best way for your friend.

However some research of TFL website should show what the cheapest option is although they'll have to mae some assumptions about the amount of travel other than term time communting.

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/ways-to-pay/whats-the-best-way-for-me-to-pay?intcmp=24901

What other teachers do probably isn't very helpful. It depends how much travel on TFL you do other than commuting there and back 195 days a year. The best option is as much about lifestyle as type of ticket.

Trendy Art likes this.