1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

London bus tour

Discussion in 'Personal' started by notmeanymore, Jul 13, 2011.

1. I'm taking my OH to London for her birthday next week. She really wants to go on the open-topped bus tour, so can anyone tell me prices/best places to get on and off etc? There's nothing in particular we want to do other than go on the London Eye, so are open to any suggestions at all. Thanks.

2. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

http://www.discount-london.com/original-london-open-top-bus

3. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

Funnily enough we went there last weekend. The first time I have been to London for 20 years!
    We stopped in the Premier Inn based in City Hall - bloody expensive at £150 a night. There were cheaper (more basic) places to stay further out - Google it.
    There are 2 main companies which both do the same route and use the same bus stops. One is the 'Big Bus Company' which cost aboout £27 each. The other 'The original bus tour' was £1.00 cheaper. They use the normal bus stops which say '|Big Bus Tour' on the top, next to the usual bus numbers.
    We used the Big Bus Company. http://www.bigbustours.com/eng/london/custompage.aspx?id=london_sightseeing_tour&gclid=
    They give a free river trip included in the price, but take this earlier in the day as the last trip on the river tour is about 5.00 or 6.00 pm I think. We left it too late and missed it.
    It is a whole day trip, particularly if you are going to hop on and off. I would suggest you start early (I think they begin around 9.00 am). You can pick them up at most major places around London. There are sales staff at most stops, or you can hop on and pay the driver. If you buy your tickets online i think it is about £3.00 cheaper per person. They both have a stop after Westminster Bridge where you can walk along to the London Eye. It was VERY busy with LOOOOOONNG queues for the Eye.
    I think the Eye runs until around 10.00 pm when it was quieter. I would suggest going to Waterloo train station first thing in the morning, do the Eye, then catch the Big Bus from Westminster Bridge (a 200 metre walk away from the Eye).
    Have fun.
    Try to get onto the upper floor as you don't see much from the lower enclosed floor. If the top is full look for people getting off from up there and take their space.

4. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

Do you get tesco clubcard vouchers? If so, you can exchange them for tickets to different attractions. Might be worth looking at.