1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

London Borough NQT Job Pools - any recommendations?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by pillybob, Dec 5, 2011.

1. I'm currently on a PGCE Primary course and have decided I'm going to try and relocate to London on completion given that there are way more job opportunities down there. However, I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the London Boroughs that operate NQT pools, not to mention things like the Diocese of London, etc.
    I know it is a very subjective thing to say where would be the best areas to apply to, but I just wondered if anyone can offer a bit of advice as to where to focus. I only want to apply for pools that guarantee a job if you get through the pool application/interview, but I don't know London well enough to be able to know the differences between areas (and live too far away to visit). I know I can check out some statistics online, but it would be useful to hear if any areas are particularly good or bad to work in as a primary NQT.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Most boroughs operate a pool system but please realise that there is generally not a surplus of induction primary posts in London. In some areas particularly the SWest of london there is intense competition as that is where the majority of ITT providers tend to be based, so there is a large local population of NQTs available. There tends to be more opportunities North and East and particularly on the London Fringes Essex and Herts.The other factors you will need to consider is cost of living in some areas- the internet can give you further detals about rental markets and what facilities, transport etc is like. You need to research thoroughly.