1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

London. Anyone working yet?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by tonymars, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

I am in NW London too, and I have not been inundated with offers of paid work. Plenty of unpaid, though.

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  2. tonymars

tonymars Established commenter

Ah yes, the Icelandic volcano. A nice memory. I was a permanent then, stuck in Turkey for another week, where the sun was hot and the beer was cold.

pepper5 likes this.
  3. bella2891

bella2891 New commenter

Still waiting for calls for daily supply. I did supply about 9 years ago and have recently come back to it after working permanently school for 8 years and can’t believe there is such little work.

I’ve been registered for 1 week now and still not had a call for daily, although been for an interview for a long term position.

How much work are Londoners getting now?

4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi bella2891

You may find that it starts to pick up about the week before half term. In the ten years I did supply that was the pattern that was typical - at least in the area I live.

I dont live in London but from what people post on here there is quite a range of how much work people get in London.

Welcome to the forum.

5. bella2891

bella2891 New commenter

Thank you for your reply pepper. Maybe I was a bit naive after leaving my permanent post in July but I really expected to get at least a few days work by now. Left my last post due to stress and anxiety of being worked into the ground and now feeling stressed and anxious for not getting any work lol

Plus my partner is pressuring me to look for another permanent full time post (practically none available at this time of year) and apply to more agencies. I’m with 3 agencies. How many do most people register with?

pepper5 and BertieBassett2 like this.
  6. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

Supply is a bizarre way to make a living and the opportunities do seem to be drying up. Pepper is right - there will be nothing just yet on the day to day circuit. You mention an interview for a long term position? That might be the way forward for you and your Supply status might take the edge off the nonsense we’ve all encountered in contracted posts. Three agencies seems about right to me - no harm in giving them a call to remind them you’re still alive....Good luck and let us know how you get on - we’re a friendly bunch on this forum!

agathamorse, JohnJCazorla and pepper5 like this.
  7. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi bella

Three agecies is plenty.

I am very sorry to hear you have had stress and anxiety.

Tell your partner that three agencies is plenty and you cant magic up work - it does take time to pick up and you also have to do a few days to build up a reputation.

In your spare time perhaps think about what you might like to do outside teaching. You would have to take some courses but you might find an employer to help with the costs.

We are a friendly bunch and always here to listen.

I know it is difficult but take this time to rest a bit and take stock.

agathamorse and BertieBassett2 like this.
  8. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Nothing for me in SYorkshire although I did turn down half a day as I was on holiday. I only work 3 days a week though and I am not expecting anything tomorrow.

Ah yes that volcano. We were in Madeira and were stuck. Luckily we were brought home on a cruise ship to Falmouth which took 5 days. I remember that there were a few other teachers on board as well.

9. bella2891

bella2891 New commenter

Just to update, work has definitely picked up this week. I worked yesterday and have been called today for an advance booking at the same school for tomorrow to work in year 6- wish me luck. Gulp lol.

So that’s two days for this week and the agencies are calling to check my availability for next week as they’re expecting a few bookings, so that’s a good sign.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  10. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Good luck. I find that I tend to get asked back to schools. Make a good impression and they will be asking for you by name.

11. Proyector

Proyector New commenter

I did a day’s supply yesterday and also had a call from another agency saying that they are expecting work now. So it is getting better. I did have to travel quite far for the job I did yesterday and don’t plan to do it again if I can help it. It’s much easier working closer to home but of course if you have to travel then you have to do what you have to do to earn money.

I am currently changing career and studying part time so I am using supply for an income during the transition period. Every now and again I get cold feet about leaving the profession but then I remind myself of the exhaustion during term time and the endless demands...

pepper5 likes this.
  12. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi Proyector

Welcome to the forum.

What are you studying?

13. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Sorry to hear that so many of you are struggling to get supply in London... but not surprised. I'm in a London primary and we had our first supply teacher of the year for one day last week, and that was only because our support staff numbers are significantly less than a year ago (not replaced people who have left) and all our HLTAs and level 3 TAs were covering classes or couldn't be spared. I think many schools will now use support staff to cover, especially if it's only for a day.

14. Tactful_Teaching

Tactful_Teaching New commenter

I just got back from a holiday last week and started supply work in London Monda. It has led to two days work this week so far. Maybe it's starting to pick up :)

15. BertieBassett2

Yes - I was offered 4 days at a school, but declined to work today as I had an appointment. The school were happy for me to do the other three days, so did yesterday and will do tomorrow and Friday. Mind you - despite being rated 'Outstanding' I had a tough day yesterday with the most horrendous year 6 class in the afternoon. I'll be with the year 3 class and they were easier, but not without challenge! The behaviour in assembly wasn't great - I'm at a loss to explain this grading!

16. bella2891

bella2891 New commenter

Sounds just like a school I worked at last week. Rated outstanding by ofsted with an awful year 6 and not so great year 1. Not sure I’d go back if they called me!

BertieBassett2 likes this.
  17. BertieBassett2

Well, I totally agree with you, but I'll do tomorrow and Friday as it should just be with the Year 3 class. I spoke to my agency and they were quite surprised but they also appreciate my long teaching experience (38 years!) and know that I wouldn't make a fuss for no reason! Perhaps I'm just a dinosaur who can't adapt to this more casual approach of dealing with children? (Sounds like a thread title in the making!)

18. sebastian_paz1

sebastian_paz1 New commenter

Nothing so far here for me in South London, I also found that the change or recruiters in the agencies affects their relationship with the school therefore the process is very slow. I neve thought about that. Some TA job thought

19. tonymars

tonymars Established commenter

What about any changes in teachers' "agreed rates" with different agencies?
    Same as last year, or different?
    I for one am fed up of individual costs going up every single year and what I earn flatlining.
    It is axiomatic that all "official" inflation measures are a scam.

20. BertieBassett2

Today I was offered a term and a half of three days a week of interventions. I might have been tempted but really don’t enjoy doing interventions- I want to be in class! I turned it down. Also a bit too far to travel for a job I wouldn’t enjoy. I did three days this week, so it is gradually picking up.