1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lola the Leopard

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Sampenleigh, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Hello,

I have recently brought Lola the Leopard which comes with the book 'Helping young children to concentrate' I just wondered if anyone else had this resource as it does not come with any advice on how to intoduce Lola which is a cuddly toy leopard to the children. It says in the book that this is in the other guidance book 'Helping young children to listen' but i did not realise this which i why i didn't buy it. Any advice would be very helpful as i want to get the most out of this resource.

Thank you

Sam

2. Hello,

I have recently brought Lola the Leopard which comes with the book 'Helping young children to concentrate' I just wondered if anyone else had this resource as it does not come with any advice on how to intoduce Lola which is a cuddly toy leopard to the children. It says in the book that this is in the other guidance book 'Helping young children to listen' but i did not realise this which i why i didn't buy it. Any advice would be very helpful as i want to get the most out of this resource.

Thank you

Sam

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

My Lola lives in a box and only comes out when the children are quiet. I use her in circle time and usually start by passing her round and each child says hello and introduces themself. You can only speak when you are holding Lola.
    Wrap an object up and label it to Lola pass the parcel round the circle and the children have to guess what's inside. When it gets back to Lola she will open it and see if anyone was correct.
    Lola says - just like Simon says
    The book is useful full of ideas

4. Thank you for your tips. I live the idea of Lola living in a box and only coming out when the children are quiet, it makes it all very special.

Thank you

5. Our Nursery teacher has used Lola for the last 2 years, it was also useful when they transisted as Lola went with them in circle time to be a security blanket.

6. I was thinking about purchasing this resource for my nursery class. I can only find it on the Lawrence Educational website and am wondering if there is a difference between the two books (packs) listed... one is called 'Helping Young Children to Concentrate' and the other is 'Helping Young Children to Listen'. Both come with Lola, but I want the most 'helpful' book/pack if that makes sense. Does anyone know what the difference is?

Here is the link:

http://www.educationalpublications.com/shop/advanced_search_result.php?osCsid=3bf3cce362feeaba20491f158e808d83&osCsid=3bf3cce362feeaba20491f158e808d83&keywords=LOLA&x=0&y=0

Thanks.

7. Apologies for my Mac and its awful way of setting the paragraphs!

8. Msz

The two books cover different things

9. Hmm, yes. I guess that's self-explanatory. I guess I just wondered which one was being referred to in this thread and if either of them was preferable in terms of better activities or what not...

10. Msz

The one in the thread is Helping young children to listen

11. Msz

ust realised I've given op lessons from listen and she asked for concentrate my aplogies
    good thing you asked

12. Cheers, that's why I asked - I really liked your ideas, but wondered if it fit in as well with 'concentration'. Now I know... thanks!

13. Msz

now I need to search out the concentration book - could be in a box under the stairs wish me luck!

14. at what point do we need to report you as missing?!!!:) I was in the attic at school today and found some marvellous resources I didnt know where there!! along with a load of c**p!!! that went in the skip!!

15. Msz

I've been trying all holidays to reduce the c**p under my stairs

16. Hello

Thank you every one for your replies. I am actually interested in any ideas about using Lola, i am going to be doing lots of listening activities so it is all very helpful.

If anyone has any tips on how to introduce Lola to the class that will be great also .

Many thanks Sam

17. Hi Sam,
    I began to use Lola last January with my Reception children. She lives in a box which I have decorated in gold with 'lola's' footprints on and a picture of her sleeping. She only comes out when everyone is quiet and if they make a loud noise she quickly hides in her box until they are quiet again. I think I have the listening book (it's in school so can't check). One of the activities in the book is a story about Lola and where she came from, (with the idea that children do an action when they hear the word Lola). I used this story and re-worded it a bit to say that Lola had to grow up and find a new home, she looked everywhere but found a lovely home with some lovely children in .... school. The children loved it and really love activities with Lola. They even ask for her to come into the hall for special occassions! I can have a look for a copy of my letter if you wish.
    Magicstar29

18. Hello Magicstar29

That is exactly what i am looking for, thank you that would be really helpful. Really looking forward to sing Lola and the story you discuss - the children in work with would love that.

Many thanks again

Sam :)