1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Logicator alternative to Flowol4

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by matty-bishop, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Hi all,

I am currently developing a SoW for Y7 on algorithms/data flow and what better than using Flowol4? Well the price tag might say otherwise, so I decided to look for alternative. Logicator was mentioned in another tread so I thought I'd try it out.

Got the free software downloaded easily without annoying the technician! However, I've hit a brick wall and that is the Logicator simulations! I want it to function similarly to Flowol whereby you load up the program with a simulation (traffic lights for example) and create a DFD, click run and there you have it a simulation representing your DFD.

With Logicator, i load up a simulation and go to create a DFD but notice that the outputs do not list all if any of the outputs in the simulation correctly. In other words, the DFD does not recognise the simulation including it's outputs so that when I click run; nothing happens! I am worrying that I need a PICAXE in order to get this simulation to work but I was hoping that this would not bee needed and could be done without any equipment.

Any words of enlightenment would be heavily appreciated.

2. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

I haven't used Logicator in this way for nearly twenty years, so I can't remember all of the details, but we didn't need any additional software at that time. You loaded the scene, e.g. the pedestrian crossing, and it would just link the buttons to the inputs and the lights to the outputs.

I do remember thinking that I much preferred both Logicator itself, and the simulations, to Flowol.