1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lodging

Discussion in 'Personal' started by amberwaves, Oct 20, 2011.

1. My school is going to be closed down. I am starting to apply for jobs but there isn't much about where I live at the moment. I haven't got any ties to a particular area and there seem to be a lot in London especially in the more "challenging" LOL areas. My question is this - I can't afford a mortgage and I won't be able to afford much rent, either I'll have to live close and pay high rent or live further out and pay high transport costs. My parents suggested lodging. However one of the girls I work with was someone's lodger and he turned out to be a sleazy perv, even though his wife and two kids were in the house. She ended up having to leave and slept on someone's floor while she worked her notice. My brother lodged in hammersmith for a year and the landlord's son pilfered things from his room. Just small untrace-able things so it was hard to prove and his father took his side.
    Is there any sort of register of people who take lodgers that checks them out? I had a look on the internet but i couldn't find what I wanted.

2. dt201

dt201 Occasional commenter

Can't really help you with the lodging side of things. You could go for a small flat share.
    You're in a good position if you aren't tied to an area so I wouldn't focus just on London. There may be jobs advertised but there are also a lot of people going for these jobs. Do you really want to work in a "challenging" school? I work in one and it's not easy.

3. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Depends which part of london you decide to work/live/reside in.Most of london is served by good overland and underground services and buses...so you can use these on an oyster card.
    In east london you can get a room in a house for £80 a week onwards.....a single bedroomed flat from about £140----180 depending upon place and size.Cant speak for other areas.
    Bunking in is first alternative...but there is room/house share groups....try googling and searching in the area you are looking.

4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

tou coud slso try craigs list for london and also gumtree which as them for rent.

5. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I used Loot a couple of times to find house/flat shares in London and never had any trouble.

6. I would look for somewhere cheaper than London. How much time have you got? If it's not till September next year you have plenty of time to research different parts of the country.

7. surf kitty too

surf kitty too Occasional commenter

8. <font face="Times New Roman" size="3"> </font> Other than getting up very early, which will not be possible for &lsquo;morning call&rsquo; supply work, you will be travelling in the Peak periods, which will mean an average daily bill of at least &pound;10. Given the low rates for supply teachers pertaining at the moment, this means that you will be working for one whole day, just to pay your tube and bus fares.

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3"> </font> Small motorcycles these days are very economical on petrol, giving up to 130 &ndash; 150 miles per gallon, and it allows you to travel door to door. In addition, many schools in central locations in London have limited parking, or in the old &lsquo;board school&rsquo; buildings, no on-site parking at all; but you will probably be able to squeeze in your 50.

9. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

1. When your school closes, the existing pupils will have to swell the ranks of other nearby schools so look out for vacancies at those schools.
    2. If I were a lodger I'd expect a bedroom with a bolt on the inside and a key lock for when I was out of the house.
    3. After over a year of staying in various friends' spare rooms, my daughter has just found a decent studio flat at the bootom of someone's garden. It's new,brick built and has all mod-cons ina separate kitchen and shower room. It's a growing trend in London, I believe, for perople to bui;d a unit in their garden to generate income. She found it through an estate agent after responding to an ad for a much smaller studio (really just a single room with the kitchen alongside the bed!) .
    The London market seems to require you to be virtually on the spot when accommodation is put up for rent. My daughter just happened to have contacted that agent on the day that the family went in with details of their studio and she snapped it up before photos were taken or an ad placed.
    4. There are lots of accommodation scams in London. People respond to ads showing superior looking apartments for a really good price (in London terms) and are asked for money up-front for the 'owner' to come over from where their new job is to show them around ... or a departing tenant advertises their accommodation and shows people around, taking a deposit, a first month's rent and signing a bogus agreement before moving on (about to be evicted for non-payment of rent) and disappearing.
    Although you pay a registration and finder's fee to an estate agent, my daughter regarded thta as the more secure route. Her deposit is lofged with the government backed Deposit Protection Service, which is the one I use for my student tenants so I know she's dealt with a reputable agency.
    5. If you get a job in London, it's worth asking the school if any staff might want to rent out a spare room. More and more people are taking advantage of the Government's Rent-A -Room Scheme which allows up to &pound;4250 per year tax free in income from a lodger.

10. Thank you all so much for your advice! I suppose I thought London might be a bit less choosy. The school I've come from is very multicultural and behaviour is awful (not saying the two are linked!) so I thought I'd be able to cope OK in some of the harder London ones that seem to advertise a lot. I haven't any experience apart from this one part-time job so I'm not exactly brimming with confidence. Asking at local schools if I do get offered a job if people have a spare room is a great idea. I could even put an ad on here!!!!