1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Locked thread

Discussion in 'Personal' started by chelsea2, Feb 28, 2020.

1. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

This thread
    So it's going to be a hard, no deal Brexit whatever the cost.
    is locked for 'boiling over'?

There won't be many threads left soon, if that's the benchmark applied.
    Yes, it had got tedious and repetitive, but didn't seem particularly acrimonious compared with some.

Hey-ho....going for a (wet) walk.

2. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Perhaps that’s not such a bad thing as every second thread recently seems to eventually turn to the subject of climate change and then descend into the same arguments, from the same people, over & over again.

theworm123, Jesmond12, colpee and 5 others like this.
  3. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Some threads were "disappeared" yesterday. I noticed that a thread that was on page 2, was suddenly back on page one without any new posts being added. If you don't like a thread, or think it is the same old stuff, just ignore it.

mothorchid likes this.
  4. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Very good advice.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Then there is also the "ignore" function, where you do not see the posts of those you may have "crossed swords" with, cannot ever agree with, or find insulting.

6. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Someone obviously got OFFENDED!
    Perhaps they need a safe place?
    It is nothing more than de-platforming albeit for a number of people:(

install, alex_teccy, burajda and 4 others like this.
  7. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Maybe it's for replies like this?
    Why polarise everything?

Reading the closing post, I don't think that's what happened, anyway - unless it was the mods who got OFFENDED.

8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

My guess... TES was receiving a large number of 'reports' and decided the best way for them to get on with their real work was to shut it down.

Right ... Star Trek Picard episode 6 time!

install, agathamorse, burajda and 3 others like this.
  9. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Lead commenter

I agree. It’s spirited debate, a bit of banter, a bit of crossfire that makes threads interesting.

As you say tedious and repetitive they may be but “boiling over”?

Sheesh.

install and agathamorse like this.
  10. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

That was one of my most successful (or at least most replied to) threads, but it was cut off at 330 replies. I am most disappointed.

11. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

No matter which angle a thread about Brexit is approached from, they always return to the same old arguments. When a thread gets locked, those who wish to argue the toss over Brexit, just dig up one of the older threads to continue the arguement on.

12. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Lead commenter

B232DE87-C1A1-4762-8225-8349BAE28B8B.jpeg

13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia. Only slightly less well known is this: Don't discuss Brexit when the report button is but a click away and mass flagging is some folk's favourite hobby.

agathamorse likes this.
  14. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

But I don't recall Brexit threads being locked.

And the final post in the locked thread says very clearly:

Hi everyone,

I'm locking comments on this thread as it's consistently boiling over.

Thanks,
    Matt & the Tes team

Not even because T&Cs were broken.
    Nor that there had been lots of reports of misdemeanours - else, if they had been upheld, those deemed 'guilty' may have been pre-modded. I haven't noticed missing posters over the last few hours.

Jamvic, install, agathamorse and 2 others like this.
  15. colpee

colpee Star commenter

A very school-like thing to do. A member of staff gets irritated by something and an unthinking ban gets slapped on everyone.

16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I see you aren't a Princess Bride fan.

agathamorse likes this.
  17. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I bet it was because I had posted a well-written article by someone, as to why we can walk away . Oh well, another day. LOL

18. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I suspect it was because someone's posting history and behaviour under a range of identities was being referenced.

19. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

If you run a forum, moderation is real work, to argue otherwise (not saying you are here) is like what FaceBook, Twitter etc. say when they claim that policing paedophiles, terrorism, bullying etc. is not their job (because it costs them money).

20. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Not allowed to say anything now.
    If the mods don't get you someone will report you!