1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lock and Key theory - need a "hook"

Discussion in 'Science' started by blazer, Apr 19, 2011.

1. blazer

blazer Star commenter

What about some simple 2 piece jigsaws with the protein/carb on one piece and the enzyme on the other? You could make them yourself out of thin card!

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Or better yet get them to make them. Print off the names/diagrams of the food and the same with the enzyme. They can stick them onto a pice of card then cut ehm in half.

3. bogstandardcomp

bogstandardcomp New commenter

gGet this on your interactive board
    http://www.biotopics.co.uk/other/anenz.html

blow it up so they cant see the writing, use 'control' key and your 'mouse scrolling thing' (not really a key is it)

Ask them to suggest/write down what the different colours could be then what's happening, perhaps follow it uo with a quick demo of yeat catalses and peroxide, show them the equation,
    and relight a glowing splint a few times to make it more exciting, and prove O2 is produced

4. LauraHester

LauraHester New commenter

Something I was shown when I first started teaching was to teach it using sponges.
    Get a load of cheap bath sponges and cut different shapes into different sponges. Then put them back together - only every really donw it with lower ability as I have never had a higher ability group that didn't understand the concept, but it did work really well.

5. Thanks for all the suggestions people - most helpful x x