1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Local Theatre

Discussion in 'Personal' started by yapyap, Jul 11, 2011.

1. What do you want from yours in terms of programming and activities?

2. Tickets that I can afford!

3. To what sort of thing Shazgo? And how often would you go if you could afford it do you reckon?

4. Are you talking professional or amateur yapyap?

5. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

A diverse range of productions. Some familiar ones - but be careful with the familiar as audiences can be a bit blase "But I just saw Oklahoma last year" etc. Also bringing in new works, local premieres, using local authors.
    Affordable tickets are important but you will want to start making a profit so be realistic in your ticket pricing. The prices need to reflect the cost of the production too. A larger set, more elaborate costumes, higher prices of librettos/scripts/scores will need to be partly covered in your ticket costs.
    What are you looking to produce?

6. Both Sel Chick! Thanks Milk and Chalk, that sort of info is really helpful. Am wanting to take on a role within an existing theatre in a small town, and I have my own ideas about pushing it forward, but i really wanted some ideas from others too, partly to reassure myself and partly to see if I miss anything!! Am sure you understand can't gie too many details away yet, but do appreciate the support lots!

7. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

Youhave mail yapyap

8. I would echo much of what Milk & Chalk has said!
    From my experience in local (amateur) theatre, our audiences are quite set in their ways. They like a good old scottish play or a comedy - or something very well known. They'll turn out in their droves and sell us out.
    Try something a bit more off the wall, a tragedy, something 'modern' and they're not so keen - we're playing to empty houses on most nights (and we seat less than 80!). Add in swearing or a novice cast who aren't 'professional' enough and the complaints start coming in!
    Of course, we have our die hard 'fans' that come to everything and support us in everything we try and do (good and bad) - which is great. But we have a much higher percentage of 'picky' audiences, and finding something to suit them, get them in the door and enjoy is hard!
    We recently raised our ticket prices to £7 and that provoked outrage. Although not us much as increasing the tea/coffee/biscuit charge from 50p to £1!!
    Good luck in your endeavours. We're forever trying to push through new ideas and take things forward - just wish our audiences would come with us!

9. Good luck Sel Chick! I'm sure they'll get there! Mmm - I am thinking about this, and how to bring them across the divide!

10. I would love to go about once a month, but taking the whole family. At our local theatre would usually cost over £100 for the 4 of us to see a show, so we tend to get a babysitter and go without the children which is a shame as DS would like to be on the stage but has never seen a good professional show. This year I have bought two pairs of tickets and DH has bought the same, so I will go to professional shows four times as well as any youth theatre that DS does.
    Personally I love well-known musicals, ballets, a traditional pantomime etc. but I am also happy to see amateur productions, youth theatre, new talent etc if the price is right.
    I suppose I should probably join one of the schemes they run so that regulars get money off seats etc. Maybe you could introduce a "friends of the theatre" type scheme?
    Good luck with it!

11. pomunder

pomunder New commenter

AmDram is big here, and the standard is good.My local theatre has done The Sound of Music, A Streetcar named Desire this year. The productions aren't highbrow; but well-presented. We get emails for set manufacture, or the odd request for a Carmen Miranda hat. They do real crowdpleasers to raise the cash - Blackadder and "Allo "Allo.

We're going to see "The Importance of Being Earnest" next week.

None of this helps the OP in the slightest, but I thought I'd enthuse.

12. pomunder

pomunder New commenter

AmDram is big here, and the standard is good.My local theatre has done The Sound of Music, A Streetcar named Desire this year. The productions aren't highbrow; but well-presented. We get emails for set manufacture, or the odd request for a Carmen Miranda hat. They do real crowdpleasers to raise the cash - Blackadder and "Allo "Allo.

We're going to see "The Importance of Being Earnest" next week.

None of this helps the OP in the slightest, but I thought I'd enthuse.

13. Oh I can understand that and guilty as charged!
    I have a whole host of am dram theatres within travelling distance and without fail the productions I have seen have been excellent. I really appreciate all those people working hard for nothing to entertain others. I am always on the brink of joining one.
    Anything that sounds a bit off the wall or 'alternative' I tend to steer clear of, mainly because funds are limited and usually I take visitors/friends/family to the 'safe' productions if I can get tickets. Those productions sell out quickly.
    I love the enthusiasm of all involved and even front of house people tend to be very warm and welcoming and genuinely appreciative of the support of the public. The cosy, homely feel of their little theatres is also lovely.

14. Oh and as for mainstream theatres, again there are quite a few I can attend and would love to go to more 'professional' theatre productions but the price of tickets tends to be the deciding factor sadly. I used to treat the man to nights out at the theatre but prices have risen quite incredibly. I sometimes go to the cheaper matinees on my own.
    My daughter has started buying me tickets for RSC productions for my birthday which I really appreciate and often coach trips to productions in London with an overnight hotel stay are good value for money.
    Any schemes which give enthusiasts good ticket prices get my attention.[​IMG]

15. Shakespeare, Gilbert & Sullivan, classical music concerts, opera.

16. I go to the local theatres as often as there are things on I want to see, so sometimes go twice in one week if there are two things on in that week, or it miught only be twice a month if there are only two things on in that month. I will go to all Shakespeare, Gilbert & Sullivan, and opera if its professional, will go to Gilbert & Sullivan if amateur as they tend to be very good. Classical concerts depends what is on and who is playing.