1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Local lockdown- will this be allowed?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by littlejackhorner, Sep 25, 2020.

1. littlejackhorner

littlejackhorner Senior commenter

I'm one of the many in an area with extra restrictions due to high infection levels.
    We are no longer allowed to visit friends and family in their homes but can meet in pubs etc. It's obviously a clever virus that knows not to infection people in these spaces.
    My parents are elderly and are due to get a room decorated soon. They can stay in their other living room whilst this is being done so they are quite happy about this. However there is a lot of furniture etc that will need moving and they are not fit to do this. My husband and I are happy to go round and sort this before the decorators come but will this be OK? It wouldn't be a social visit. Mum and dad are very careful and they would stay out of the way. But I'm now concerned that we could all be breaking lockdown rules by doing this. Any thoughts or advice?

2. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I think there's a clause that permits helping the vulnerable.

Watch out for twitching net curtains.

littlejackhorner likes this.
  3. gainly

gainly Star commenter

It may vary slightly depending on the area but these seem to be the rules. There seem to be several clauses you could use. It seems similar to a house move which is allowed. Or you could use "to allow one or more persons to avoid injury" as your parents would likely be injured if they try to do it themselves. Or you could say you were providing a voluntary or charitable service.

Social contact restrictions
    If you live in the affected local areas, you must not:

• host people you do not live with in your home or garden, unless they’re in your support bubble
    • meet people you do not live with in their home or garden, whether inside or outside of the affected areas, unless they’re in your support bubble
    Your household is defined as the people you live with and any support bubble.

A support bubble is where a household with one adult joins with another household (on an exclusive basis).

Households within a bubble can still visit each other, stay overnight and visit public places together.

People must only come inside your home or garden for specific purposes set out in law:

• where everyone in the gathering lives together or is in the same support bubble
    • to attend a birth at the mother’s request
    • to visit a person who is dying (the visitor can be someone the dying person lives with, a close family member, friend or, if none of those is visiting, anyone else)
    • to fulfil a legal obligation
    • for work purposes (see guidance on working safely in other people’s homes), or for the provision of voluntary or charitable services
    • for the purposes of education or training
    • for the purposes of childcare provided by a registered provider
    • to provide emergency assistance
    • to enable one or more persons in the gathering to avoid injury or illness or to escape a risk of harm
    • to facilitate a house move
    • to provide care or assistance to a vulnerable person
    • to continue existing arrangements for access to, and contact between, parents and children where the children do not live in the same household as their parents, or one of their parents

littlejackhorner likes this.
  4. littlejackhorner

To be honest that's what worried me!

5. littlejackhorner

Thanks very much for this. It does seem to cover us with the avoiding risk or harm.
    It's all just so complicated isn't it?