1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Local hire as a teacher when you are the trailing spouse.

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by BahrainB, Apr 6, 2019.

1. BahrainB

BahrainB New commenter

I'm the plus one to a non education career spouse.
    I've had teaching roles in various posts but its proving really difficult to get a permanent job.
    I'm not asking for flights, housing , medical or education so effectively I'm cheap even though I'm at the top of the pay scale experience wise.

Thoughts?

2. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Here in Shanghai you could walk into 100 jobs on Monday if you are not to fussy and salary ranges from 13-30,000rmb per month.

If you are in the ME there are large issues with obtaining a visa for local hire that many schools do not want to get involved with. Also a lot of schools don't like to employ independent humans but want slaves who are dependent of the every whim of their masters. I have seen and heard a local hire teacher tell a principal what they really thought of them in a staff meeting as they could resign with out fear of been deported by the school.

I would simply find the best 5 schools near you and take your CV and door step the principal. Schools always need a supply teacher and this puts you in a good place to watch out for full time positions.

3. BahrainB

BahrainB New commenter

Thanks for the reply.
    It's Qatar and I'm certain the local hire visa isn't nearly as complex as it is for a international hire.
    I hear you on the independent slave front though, a new girls independent franchise branch from the uk is allegedly only hiring newbies and the salary is really low.

4. adrixargentina

adrixargentina Occasional commenter

If you go to China on a spouse visa, how easy is it to switch to a zvisa?

5. 576

576 Established commenter

I have at least two colleagues in your position. One married to someone who teaches English in the local school system and one married to an ambassador.
    I would have thought it would make you more desirable as you probably wouldn't qualify for flights, housing, medical etc..

february31st likes this.
  6. Ne11y

Ne11y Occasional commenter

It really depends on paperwork. Where I am, a dependent would still need to exit the country to get a new (work) visa, so the time delay (over a month) and some of the expenses (flights, visa) will come into play. My school would be more inclined to hire a local (non-native) on a temporary basis as it's quicker.

However, it's not impossible. I don't know what the requirements are in Qatar, but even if they are similarly onerous, if a post needs filling and you are what they need, they'll make it happen.

Good luck.

adrixargentina likes this.
  7. adrixargentina

adrixargentina Occasional commenter

where are you nelly?

8. Ne11y

Ne11y Occasional commenter

Sent a pm.

9. SecondPlace

SecondPlace Occasional commenter

'so effectively I'm cheap even though I'm at the top of the pay scale experience wise.'

Many schools have a maximum entry point on their payscale, so in those cases this wouldn't be an issue.

10. Bythesea123

Bythesea123 New commenter

Where are you? Where I am a qualified teacher that doesn't need a package is a very attractive hire. If you're in Singapore let me know!