1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Local authority special measures

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by becky70, May 15, 2011.

1. Move on if you can - it doesn't get better. The LEA will be gunning for your HT and possibly other SMT bods depending on the size of the school. Your head will start looking to blame members of staff - you might survive, you might not. I'd start looking for another job now.

2. Thanks for your replies. I'm looking out for jobs and making sure all my cards are in order.

3. Xericist

Xericist New commenter

The three hours per cycle regulation applies to Performance Management Regulations. Ask your head (via your union rep?) if Performance Management has been suspended. If it hasn't then you can ask on what basis the guidelines are being varied.

4. Please try not to panic,(I know easier said than done) on the positive the LA has identified some weakness in your school, probably the leadership, or quality of teaching and learning and are taking steps to address it. Long term, this will hopefully improve things for pupils and staff. Perhaps your school has been coasting or there are specific issues, these should be communicated to staff.
    From your personal point of view, make sure (as always) lessons are well planned and engaging and that pupils show progress. Make sure you are up-to-date on marking etc, then you will be fine- the LA will be monitoring and working to support underachieving department areas, and potentially the individual staff that need it. It does not mean that all teaching is unsatisfactory or that it will be judged like that. Yes, there might be stress flying around particularly if, as is likely SMT have had their eye off the ball, but try to stay away from this and not let it infect you. Rushing to take another job, might not be the best idea. It might be a rocky few months, but it can improve things and is less stressful than getting an Ofsted 'label'. Good Luck.[​IMG]

5. I was forced out of my job because this situation arose - it really does depend on the school. If I'd known then what I know now then I would have applied for other jobs right away. It ended up being more than a rocky few months for me - it's been years of struggle with a job making me ill, followed by ages on supply.
    I'm on a temporary contract now (don't know if I'll ever have a permanent one again) and have painful memories which will probably haunt me for the rest of my life.