1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Local Authority pay review.

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by elzorillo, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Just a quick query..

My wife, who has been a TA for about 10 years (level 3 qualified but working at level 4 according to all the teachers) recently had here paperwork through from the local authority re pay review.

Unfortunately for my wife, in the year 2008 (which was used to calculate pay/level) my wife was working solely with a statemented child. This is not her usual job role, nore has it been since 2008. Her new pay scale level has been adjusted to level 1. She went to see the head who has informed her that as the review is based on 08, the review is correct and there is nothing she can do re appealing. He did say that she can ask for a level reappraisal in the future based on her current role, but the forms haven't even been designed yet let alone produced so she will have to live with it for now.

Is this correct? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. bluebell27

bluebell27 New commenter

Having just recently gone through the job evaluation process (finalised just this month for us) I can say that yes we are evaluated on our role from 2008. We are them assimilated within a given band and if relevant we move up within that band through increments for the years 2009/2010 and 2011. so if we were a grade 2 TA within the spinal column 19 -23 and graded at 19 back in 2008, our assimilated grade would now be SC 22. However, If we reached the top of a band before April 2011 SP 23) then nothing changes we stay where we are as there is nowhere else to go.
    Did your wife fill in a job evaluation form to show what her role was in 2008? This is something all TAs should have done, have it checked and agreed by head teachers before it was sent to LA. This is what we have been assessed on and given our new gradings.
    It sounds like your wife has been given a lower grade (or graded at 2008 whilst her role has changed since then). She will be able to have her job re-evaluated but in our LA we have been told this won't be done until the back end of the summer term as they are dealing with appeals and job protection. Have a look at this site as it gives some idea of what is happening but please bear in mind this is for this particular LA and other areas may be different.
    http://bigissues.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/index/bigissues/fairpay/bigissuesschools/score-release/impact-and-assimilation/
    look under Job evaluation.
    Have to say She cannot appeal against the review but like her head teacher says can be re-evaluated but like you say some LAs are not prepared for this yet.Perhaps it depends how far down the line they are as some LA covered Job evaluation over 2 years ago but some like mine have only just finalised it.