1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Local And Mayoral Elections!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Jude Fawley, May 3, 2019.

1. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

I received the Brexit Party flyer today. It was one hundred percent soundbites, and zero percent content.

2. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Have you considered taking up origami? Rather than making a paper plane with it, you could turn it into a model of Farage like this dinosaur and have us all in creases.

ajrowing likes this.
  3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Nice to see the Lib Dems doing better again - I voted for them.

4. Duke of York

Even nicer to watch the Tories and UKIP getting decimated.

5. amoral_savoy_mink

amoral_savoy_mink New commenter

Pure comedy gold!

6. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

True, so true:) Pity though, it could have been so different.

amoral_savoy_mink likes this.
  7. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

It's great news and I voted for them both. If we go on like this the Liberal Democrats will have to order two taxis.

oldsomeman likes this.
  8. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Its the will of the people

monicabilongame and dumpty like this.
  9. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Me neither

racroesus likes this.
  10. burajda

burajda Star commenter

looks like any Party political junkmail at election time then. One party at the last election promised that we would Leave the EU in March under its Strong and Stable leadership. That party would remove the burning injustices in our country and bring back grammar schools.

colpee likes this.
  11. Duke of York

It's difficult to work out whether May is as thick as she comes across or just a compulsive liar.

With all the parties that support remaining in the EU doing really well in these elections and the ones that campaigned strongly to leave getting trounced, how on earth can the daft cow say "The message we are getting from people is that want us to get on with Brexit."?

I tell you what I think they are telling you Mrs May, they want you to listen to the million that marched in London and the six million who petitioned your government to hold another referendum.

I tell you something else they are telling you if the loss of over 1200 councillors and 39 councils is anything to go by. They cant wait until the next general election comes along to bury your inept and corrupt party for good.

12. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I hope this one in Eastbourne didn't keep her promise: :eek::eek::eek::eek:

upload_2019-5-3_18-19-1.jpeg

13. florian gassmann

Really? The trouble is, Labour started from a very poor position following the 2014 council elections, and have now lost even more seats. It may be Brexit. It may be Corbyn. It may be local issues. But there is no succour for Labour when they couldn't get a bigger share of the vote than one of the most unpopular parties in modern political history. (The chart below is showing projected share, but it is still proving to be true with most results now in.)

upload_2019-5-3_18-24-25.png

14. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

DoY didn't mention Labour replacing the Tories, just hoping the Tories won't win in the next election.

15. Duke of York

Its getting better all the time. They've now lost 43 couincils and 1,316 councillors. I hope the counting isn't going to finish soon.

monicabilongame and JL48 like this.
  16. nervousned

nervousned Senior commenter

Most unpopular party in modern political history but joint top in proportion of the vote? Less popular than the lib dems who had a smaller proportion of the vote? Is this a different definition of popular?

17. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

It would have been scary, if it had happened. However it looks as though Farage was right when he founded the new Brexit party. While most racists may have voted Leave, it appears the majority of Leavers aren't far-right, and have no interest in voting for Tommeh and Akkad's new UKIP party.

Personally I find that a huge relief, and find myself much more positive about our country's future - regardless of the outcome of Brexit.

18. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Statements like the above disgust me. You need help IMO.

nomad likes this.
  19. florian gassmann

Yes. Unpopular government. Popular in local council elections.

20. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Another statement of the blindingly obvious that you claim not to believe (like the idea that human activity hasn't caused the significant climate warming of the last century or two...). That sort of wilful blindness disgusts many of us too...

NB I won't say you need help...some people are beyond it, IMHO.