1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Local And Mayoral Elections!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Jude Fawley, May 3, 2019.

1. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I think that was a really satisfactory result.

2. CraigCarterSmith

CraigCarterSmith Established commenter

have we discovered any policies of Farage yet? apart from Leave and offer no detail apart from WTO and shout a lot, if People rebel and vote for that, hell mend em, i look forward to them moaning in a few months time because nothing is being done or they are being asked to pay for a Dr :rolleyes:

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Second largest party in my ward is UKIP.

Edit: Although the lost every councillor they had across the entire council.

4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Cons have lost control to NOC where I live (though they may well cobble together a coalition with UKIP & Independents).

Results: Cons - 9, UKIP - 9, Greens +6*, Lab +5, Lib Dems +2, Independent +1 (figures show change, not how many seats they now hold)

*Big issue with proposed development in one part of the Council area helps explain this - Greens lead the opposition to it.

5. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

There are plenty of ways you could help other than slogging round canvassing! Stuffing envelopes, phoning people, making coffee for volunteers, checking the lists of voter numbers collected at the voting place, etc.
    We both voted yesterday and I returned my Deputy Mayor's chain. Neither of us are standing, I need to get my knee sorted out first!!

HelenREMfan likes this.
  6. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

How many times does it need to be said that the Brexit party are not issuing a manifesto until after the European elections?

lexus300 and border_walker like this.
  7. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

If Corbyn's anticipated sweep into Downing Street was in any way realistic surely Labour should have done significantly better in these elections than they appear to have done.

8. FrankWolley

These results are very bad for the Tories, but pretty bad for Labour.

9. CraigCarterSmith

ill keep asking just so we are absolutely sure of that is what people are saying they are openly voting for :D

10. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

As the opposition, following on from past trends, they should have increased their vote. But it has reduced. Both main parties need a rethink on leadership.

11. amoral_savoy_mink

amoral_savoy_mink New commenter

I think that was Jude Fawley's point about Labour under their current dictatorship.

12. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Amen! I am a total fraud. I voted for a party I detest because I wasn't voting for them locally but with a hope it might bolster the enactment of democracy re leaving the EU. It gets worse because I was supporting the party of our local parish councillor who lives three doors away and is a sociopath. She's the woman who invited me to her dinner party and wouldn't take no for an answer to the point she was trying to deny me the right to choose. So, if the local Conservative party has any success, she is going to remain buoyant and happy that her local political party is still in power. When she lived in another village the Conservative inclined people got together and voted Labour en masse to get rid of her. Then she moved here.

I'm deadly serious about what I've done because I've nowhere to go politically while politicians won't enact democracy. But thankfully we now have the Brexit party and the European elections will be akin to a 'peoples vote' without the madness of an actual peoples vote.

My deep desire was to vote Labour across the board and in the European elections. Maybe one day when we have a proper Labour party again I can vote for them.

What I thought I might do was spoil my voting papers. I was going to write 'spoilt' across both papers but then I thought I might write 'you spoilt ********' but then I thought again and decided to vote for the local Conservative councillor because he is a Leaver re the European union and UKIP for Mayor because UKIP want to enact democracy and leave the European union.

We still haven't got the results here yet so we shall see.

13. CraigCarterSmith

But the WA is leaving the EU? Why don't you want this?

Balot Paper said LEAVE or REMAIN

Leave won! stop being unpatriotic and undemocratic, get behind the WA and let LEAVE through :rolleyes:

14. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Dictatorship? Really? In what way is Corbyn (or anyone else) "dictating" party policy? Of all the parties Labour appears to be the one which arrives at collective decisions via debate, discussion and collegiality.

InkyP and Scintillant like this.
  15. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

How very dare you :D

16. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I had no Green, no UKIP, no PUP and no SDLP candidates to choose. Nor Labour, Conservative, or Lib Dem.

17. FrankWolley

Anyone would think you don't live in the UK...;)

racroesus and JL48 like this.
  18. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The local election results prove one thing

The state of the country is a total mess.

lexus300 likes this.
  19. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Not true. Candidates are permitted to canvass outside the polling station provided this is not seen as being in any way "intimidating".

Furthermore, candidates have a right to attend polling stations to check on the integrity of the process (in the same way as they can attend the opening of postal ballots and (more importantly) the count of voting slips. However, they must remove rosettes, etc., when entering the polling station (even when casting their own vote).

Agreed.

However, candidates should comply with requests by polling station staff or the (Acting) Returning Officer about campaigning near polling stations.

https://www.electoralcommission.org...iamentary-By-Election-Part-4-The-campaign.pdf

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Why? Because Labour and the Tories aren't doing well?

So what... the main beneficiary seems to be the Lib Dems... not exactly an extremist party [unless you consider wanting a second referendum an extremist position]. UKIP are down 65 seats so all that talk about a ''far right surge'' [oooh scary] has been shown to be hot air.

So only people wedded to a two party system are going to be upset about this.