1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Local And Mayoral Elections!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Jude Fawley, May 3, 2019.

1. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Yesterday I went out to vote and, yet again, I was the first in the village to cast my vote. It's only fifty metres to the polling station.

I had the local councillor options of Conservatives, Labour or Liberal Democrats so, I voted for the best 'Leave the EU/enact democracy' candidate which was Conservative.

We also had Mayoral elections with the options being Conservative, Labour, Liberal Democrats, Greens and UKIP so I voted UKIP being the most pro 'Leave the EU/enact democracy' candidate.

My local council hasn't yet declared the results.

But hey! It's brilliant that the Conservatives and Labour are getting hit hard. Not good that those insipids the Liberal Democrats are gaining seats and a major shame the Brexit party wasn't an option.

I hate to have to vote tactically. I hate that we have a spineless Labour party.

lexus300 and amoral_savoy_mink like this.
  2. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

A few days ago, for the first time ever, my local councillor knocked on my door and asked me whether I would support her reelection and whether there was any local issue needing addressing. Yesterday, the same party pushed a leaflet through my letter box reminding me to vote if I hadn't done so already. There were three other candidates; none of them even bothered to deliver a single sheet of election literature, so why vote for them? I remember during my childhood watching candidates' cars driving round with loudspeakers begging people to come out and vote and offering them a lift to the polling station if they couldn't walk there.

3. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

What can your local councillor do about Brexit?

ilovesooty, MAGAorMIGA and Dodros like this.
  4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I was first at mine... they were still setting up... I got a ''you're keen'' and had a chat with the LibDem guy on the door.

Not looking good for the two big parties.... Good.

JL48 and amoral_savoy_mink like this.
  6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

We had numerous mail drops from the LibDems... three from UKIP and one from Labour.

Nothing from the Greens or Tories.

Also, when an election isn't on, the LD still knocked on the door and asked us if there were any local issues we wanted dealt with. So locally LD are pretty good IMO.

JL48 likes this.
  7. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I hear they're good on potholes.

8. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I have a postal vote, but my husband went to the polling station and on the way in he was canvassed by the two Tories who were hoping for re-election. This is not allowed, so he made an official complaint to the returning officer and to the council. I should emphasise that they were canvassing and trying to persuade him to vote for them. Against the law, as far as the returning officer said. And they had been there much of the day, apparently.
    My husband wasn't going to vote for them anyway, but even if he had been, he said they'd have put him off by their pushy behaviour. What makes people think it's OK to ignore electoral rules?

Dodros and MAGAorMIGA like this.
  9. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

You absolute fraud. Moaning about the Labour Party while casting your vote for the current Conservative shower? You either have no clue whatsoever or you are not as you purport yourself to be on these forums.

10. florian gassmann

Not according to the Electoral Commission, who say:

3.1 Campaigners should be allowed to put their messages to voters on polling day, including in public spaces outside polling places. Polling station staff and police officers should not seek to discourage or remove campaigners who are otherwise peacefully communicating with voters, as long as they are not within or impeding access to the grounds of the polling place. You should be careful, however, to ensure that your approach is proportionate and should recognise that groups of supporters may be perceived as intimidating by voters.

https://www.electoralcommission.org...9741/Code-of-conduct-for-campaigners-2015.pdf

nomad likes this.
  11. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Surely blind loyalty to the tribe is wrong. I've voted for all three 'major' parties since 1997.

JL48, nomad and amoral_savoy_mink like this.
  12. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Two Tories were canvassing just outside my polling station during the London local elections last year. I guess its legal though, but they were quite pushy.

13. Tartuffe

Tartuffe Occasional commenter

upload_2019-5-3_8-2-34.png

So if there is a Bexit backlash, why are the LibDems, who are openly Remain picking up more councillors than any one else, and UKIP losing councillors? Or are people only voting on local issues?

chelsea2 and ajrowing like this.
  14. burajda

burajda Star commenter

The ward where Jacob Rees Mogg lives has been taken from the Tories by the LibDems.

chelsea2, ajrowing, Sally006 and 2 others like this.
  15. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Id vote for the Lib Dems if they stood around here, but there is no voting in my part of London. Anythingwoudbe better than the continuous rule of Labour which I despair of!

16. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

I refused to vote for either of the three candidates standing in my area based solely on their election leaflets.
    The two Tories submitted a joint effort that had vague promises to make things better without clarifying how, and in some instances what, they would improve.
    The Lib Dem candidate’s leaflet had a poorly punctuated personal statement on the front, outlining what she perceived to be her many achievements, without explaining how those ‘achievements’ fitted her for the post for which she was seeking election. The other side of the leaflet went into these same achievements with more detail, but even less punctuation. My conscience won’t let me endorse someone who doesn’t know the difference between a comma and a full stop - or at least who hasn’t got the wit, or perhaps the humility, to have her work proofread before printing.

mothorchid likes this.
  17. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

To be honest if the opposition party was supporting nuclear Armageddon I wouldn't vote Conservative. I am quite frankly astonished @Jude Fawley

The Labour party is between a rock and a hard place. Its traditional "working class" voters have been thoroughly brainwashed by the "return to the great golden age of British steam" brigade so are almost totally in support of Brexit. To declare and fly in the face of 'democracy' ( I see that lying bistard Johnson has been caught out yet again...and yet like his load of fooking cronies he just gets away with it scot free! ) to remain in Europe could well be political suicide so leaving the country in the grip of these conniving bistards we call our government. What are they to do???? I suspect they don't know what to do for the best hence all the wavering, suspect too that they are waiting for a return to power so they can start the job of addressing all the lies and misinformation and to try to win the British over to not cutting off their noses to spite their faces.

18. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

That relies on volunteers getting out there to help their party. I have tried to volunteer to canvas but as my mobility is so restricted I am of very limited use.
    Of course back in those days of the 50s..... petrol was far far cheaper ! Issues too re insurance, safety etc apply also.

19. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

There's an almost infinite number of ways people, especially politicians, will be able to interpret the local election results. I'm sure national politics on Brexit have been a decisive influence but it isn't all about Brexit. Local issues still matter, it isn't a proxy second referendum on Brexit.

My take on it is that the electorate is giving a bashing to Cons and Labour for the shambles over Brexit and both parties being in internal warfare, hence their loss of seats. But it would be wrong to assume it's only Leave voters are expressing that frustration, so are Remain voters. I don't think it can be interpreted as some sort of Leave backlash. If it were the biggest winners surely wouldn't be the staunch Remainers in the LibDems and Greens, and UKIP wouldn't have been losing seats? And anyway parties campaigning mainly about Brexit, esp Farage's party, weren't standing.

Their starting points were different too. In 2015 UKIP did very well and LibDems badly.

oldsomeman and monicabilongame like this.
  20. florian gassmann

Actually, they seem to be fed up with the Labour party being infiltrated by the neo-Liberal metropolitan elite who have little or no understanding of what matters to traditional Labour voters. I don't think its all about Brexit, although I'm sure some are fed up with Brexit dragging on and on and on because Labour oppose the Withdrawal Agreement (despite knowing they will have to sign up to it if they want a Customs Union).

nomad likes this.