1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Loan advert - I am shocked!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by cinnamonsquare, Apr 12, 2011.

1. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

So far I am spending my holiday in the most productive way possible - watching daytime TV ;)
    I have just seen an advert for a loan, loads of hooks - same day cash, you choose the repayment term etc.
    What completely shocked me was the interest rate at the bottom of the screen. 3043.8%! And no, I haven't put the decimal in the wrong place there!
    It wasn't even tucked away discreetly at the bottom but written quite large across the screen - these loan sharks have no shame.
    Are there really people so desperate that they will use these things? I'm the last person to pretend to be perfect at managing my money, but if I'm having trouble I'll always talk to my bank first. Surely if a loan is necessary it's preferable to pay the bank's interest rate (somewhere in the teens or lower?).
    This is poorly disguised robbery an how on earth do they get away with it?!