1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

LO will only sleep after a breastfeed- please advise!

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by goonergirl2009, Feb 3, 2011.

1. goonergirl2009

goonergirl2009 New commenter

My LO is nearly 18 weeks old and has always gone to sleep from her bedtime breastfeed. Tonight we thought we would try my husband putting her to bed with a bottle instead. She guzzled down 5oz, got wind and then screamed until I gave her a breastfeed. LO was exclusively breastfed for 16 weeks and now I breastfeed her but supplement it with three bottles of formula and she will happily take these from her daddy in the day. My poor hubby tried winding her, cuddling, different positions for feeding, carrying her in the colic hold but nothing worked to calm her down and by the time her wind was out she was so passed herself and she would only settle with me. Has anyone else tried to alter an established routine like this? Does anyone have any advice?
    x

2. goonergirl2009

My LO is nearly 18 weeks old and has always gone to sleep from her bedtime breastfeed. Tonight we thought we would try my husband putting her to bed with a bottle instead. She guzzled down 5oz, got wind and then screamed until I gave her a breastfeed. LO was exclusively breastfed for 16 weeks and now I breastfeed her but supplement it with three bottles of formula and she will happily take these from her daddy in the day. My poor hubby tried winding her, cuddling, different positions for feeding, carrying her in the colic hold but nothing worked to calm her down and by the time her wind was out she was so passed herself and she would only settle with me. Has anyone else tried to alter an established routine like this? Does anyone have any advice?
    x

3. I have been working on this issue. We've not quite cracked it yet but we're getting there. I feed her at 7 ish in a darkened room and then do the whole bedtime routine like bath and book and lullabies. She (theoretically) then goes down around 8.30 ish. It has worked a couple of times, but we have had a lot of screaming. I'm currently trying the Baby Whisperer's pick up put down technique to try and settle her to sleep. Again, not 100% successful but she doesn't seem to be associating feeding with bed time anymore...
    Don't think that really helps you gooner, but just thought I'd let you know that you're not the only one changing routines after a while!
    x

4. She probably reacted to a many changes to her bed time routine- one she was (bottle) fed by daddy instead of mummy and it was daddy trying to put her to sleep, may not be the reason but just a thought, there are a number of ways you could go about this, you coulld persevere (sp) and try the same again or try a number of different things, does she have a dummy? Depending on your opinions on this, it may help her settle. Your could try bottle feeding her and then settle her with you and your husband, (may reinforce that she isn't going to get a breatfeed) and then eventually your husband takes over. Or you could try husband settling then alternating between you both to go and settle her, then she know mummy hasn't run away bt i don't know if the smell of breast milk may not make this work. I think you have to find what works best for you. I know it is what everyine says but you could try something then if it doesn't work for you try something else.
    Hope this helps

5. sorry for the spelling etc. was typed very quickly

6. goonergirl2009

Thank you both for your replies. We do the same routine every night and Charlotte sleeps for 11 hours through which I know is fantastic and I know we are very lucky. She does not have a dummy. Charlotte always goes straight down to sleep from her last feed so think I might try the suggestion of giving her a bottle and then moving it to my husband giving her the bottle. The fact that she got so upset is quite out of character for her but then she did have very bad wind do maybe that was the problem? Thank you both again!
    x

7. If she's sleeping for that long then it sounds like you've got it sorted! I wouldn't worry about how she goes down for the time being. Jemima is the same and only goes down after a long feed but then unfortunately rarely sleeps for longer than an hour without waking up screaming, then we have to start all over again as she is so inconsolable she will only let me settle her and screams louder when my OH attempts it. She'll do maybe two lots of 5 hours and has on the very odd occasion done ten hours, but that is almost unheard of. I also feed her before naps, probably a bad habit but I don't really know what else to do.
    Having said all that, I am making a real effort to put her down a bit more awake, so that she can learn to get herself (back) to sleep and we can all hopefully get some more sleep at night. I still end her normal bedtime routine by feeding but try putting her down before she is sound asleep, inevitably she wakes up as I put her in the cot anyway. We are fortunate that she sucks her thumb so once she's found that she can send herself off (or back) to sleep. I have sat crouched in the doorway as she's woken during a lunchtime nap and watched her have a good look around, find her thumb and drift off again. Unfortunately this doesn't happen every time!
    If Charlotte is sleeping for that length of time, she must be have learnt some ways of getting herself off to sleep? She can't possibly sleep solidly and soundly for 11 hours without waking and coming in and out of a light sleep occasionally?

8. goonergirl2009

Hi wormburger! Charlotte settles herself back to sleep in the night by sucking her thumb for a few seconds. We also leave white noise playing for her as she seems to wake up if she is left in silence. The reason we were trying my husband giving her her bedtime feed is because I am going to my sister's hen-do at the end of April and we thought it might be a good idea to get Charlotte used to my husband putting her to bed aswell as me before then. Ah well, the end of April is a way off yet! We will keep trying and see what happens!
    x