1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

LO: to improve mental strategies for adding and subtracting two-digit numbers

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by eggles, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Today, I used the dart board, playing the 3 dart checkout game which was differentiated. The lesson was very successful however I still feel that these children could sharpen up on this objective so want to revisit this objective tomorrow.

Can anyone suggest any other ideas?

2. Yes.
    Teach holistically and rather than defining everything, see the bigger picture of where you want kids to be and with what skills at a certain point.
    Your post IMO is more geared towards pleasing those watching than those taking part.
    Again, IMO there is no need for defining lessons and say to yourself...."what do they need to work on?" and deliver that in a way you feel (with your professional judgement) the best way of getting there.
    What are their issues? where do they struggle? was the activity you carried out fit for purpose? would you do it differently again?
    I still think an element of rote learning is key but until you identify what they need to work on its hard to pinpoint. I still like a number line and repetitious learning before any games come out.

3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Use a soroban. There are materials on the ATM website.
    You can borrow a class set for half a term from an organisation called Japan 21. Just Google for their website.

4. what does IMO mean?

5. I like (actually, I hate HAVING to do it, as I feel that my Year 10/11 pupils shouldn't need it anymore, but hey-ho!) doing, say, half a standalone lesson on this and then continually topping it up with little starters and the likes and just "organically" in a lesson which requies it on an ongoing basis.
    If, of course, you are primary, then it's probably a very different picutre - but if you're secondary, then I too would be wary of trying to focus on this too much in standalone lessons. Best case scenario is that they become great at +/- and can transfer their knowledge to all other settings; worst case scenario is that they learn nothing; most likely scenario (IMO ;)) is that they can do it when the situation is so identifiably similar, but have virtually no understanding of how to transfer this (eg, they could easily and effectively handle the sum "73 - 25" but ask them the difference between the x coordinates of points (25, 2) and (73, 8) and they completely fall apart).
    By the way - did you play with real darts in a real dart board? If so, how can you differentiate that, as the questions will be dictated by the luck/skill of each throw (I've done this during a couple "maths in sports" days). Or did you have some other (electronic??) version which you could control?

6. Touched up the last part of that sentence, as it didn't really make sense the first time round. Sorry.

7. strawbs

strawbs Occasional commenter

might be the mymaths dart games - there are 3 different ones from memory