1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lizard legs

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by cosmos, May 19, 2011.

1. What is happening to my legs? They are dry and scaly in spite of lashings of cocoa butter every morning after my shower! And itchy too. Yuk.
    I drink lots of water every day so not dehydration - any ideas?

2. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

*lalalalalalalalal* marshy can't hear you lily

Well cosmos, I wasn't sure if you wanted to hear that awful bit of news and as Lily has said it probably won't improve BUT I think smooth legs with a light tan will look fab and if someone gets close and see that they're a bit scaly then you're in the perfect position to kick them :) Not that I'm advocating violence or excessive sun exposure either - fake - allegedly St. Tropez thingy is best [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jesus lily, I hope to god you don't have arms like this! She looks old, those hands - wicked witch of the west or what??

3. 1) Cosmos- I have skin that looks rather scaly on my shins. I am NOT old (under 30) but mine is psoriasis and I am not good about putting moisturisers/ creams on unless I suddenly remember I'm about to bare them at an event (black tie dinner tomorrow EEEEEEEEEEEEEEERK). Best go get scrubbing once the plumber has done. ARGGGGGGGGGH
    2) Marshy, madonna is probably very underwewight in addition to using weights as you can also see BONEs. Going back to t'other thread. I do not look like that. Do i need to provide photographic evidence that lifting weights does not turn everyone into that scary skinny monstrosity who used to be a pop star?

4. Firstly, [​IMG]
    Lily, that was very unfeeling.....I don't want to look 18 again, I just don't want legs you could grate chese on.
    Secondly, [​IMG]
    Madonna looks horrendous! I am so happy.

5. As a 56 year old (post menopausal) female with no scale -just blue legs that never see the sun because I live in trousers and hate sunbathing; I can confirm the answer is exfoliation.
    If the skin on my legs gets dry it's horrendously itchy so I do exfoliate regularly and moisturise afterwards. The scrubs I use usually suggest being used on wet skin, but you can get stronger results using them on dry skin (plenty to choose from, often on offer from Avon or Boots, or 200ml tubs of St Ives Apricot scrub is 99p from my local chemists) washing it off in the shower and then using baby oil on damp skin to moisturise.
    If you go down the line of self tan, which I need to do soon to get rid of the blue white colour of my legs, most self tan products always recommend exfoliating properly the day before.

6. anon468

anon468 New commenter

A couple of things you could try, cosmos:
    Flaxseed oil capsules - coffeekid swears by them for skin and hair, so I gave them a go and I think it's made a difference.
    Those scrubby net-like things you use in the shower, with shower gel (I'm sure they have a proper name, but I can't think of it!). Exfoliates the skin nicely, but not too harshly.
    Slather slightly damp skin after using the above with Johnson's baby oil.
    Eww @ picture of Madonna. Put some flesh on your bones, woman!

7. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

It's lovely growing older. If it's not heading south, it's giving you grief.
    Lizard skin / cheesegrater legs require a multi-pronged attack. I can't use baby oil, but vigorously apply a scrubby sponge in the bath with lots of Simple or Pears soap, eat a few nuts (not salted) daily, some essential oil in them, I have been informed, and lately have been slathering on Baby's Bottom Butter from Waitrose. It takes a while to sink in, but feels good. At least on my iquana legs it does. Swallow a cod liver oil capsule daily as well. Good luck.

8. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

arbie, I believe you - honestyl! The picture was for lily (MrL has allegedly said that her arms look like Madonna's!), after seeing that photo then I'm surprised he's still alive :)

9. Well, whaddya know! All your advice worked! Just look at me now...

[​IMG]

Oh alright, might take a little longer, but thanks all for the advice. I'll definitely try exfoliation and slathering on the cream.

10. [​IMG] You is a croooooooell, croooooooell woman Lil.
    Damn brutal honestly.
    My sister told me a while ago that the skin on the back of my hands looked like fish scales. Thanks sis. [​IMG]
    (I will, may be, learn to wear gloves when doing household chores involving harsh chemicals, and when gardening....)
    Cosmos....I have a pair of those exfoliating gloves (got mine from Body Shop I think) and I occasionally wear them when showering to exfoliate.
    (I think a pan-scourer would do just as well! [​IMG])
    I often wonder about rubbing olive oil into my legs and leaving it on overnight - putting legs into a heavy duty black bin bag so as not to ruin the sheets - to nourish my skin. (I do of course act as the advisor to top beauty houses world-wide.)
    My (cheap) pre-holiday foot treatment is to exfoliate the feet...get rid of hard skin etc...then slather Sudocrem onto my feet just before bed...paying attention to the heels and skin around the toe-nails....and wear cotton ankle socks overnight. If I do it for a week before I go away and then do a pedicure, paint the nails etc, my feet always look and feel heaps better. [​IMG]

11. I feel so cheered up!
    I look heaps better than scraggy old Madonna! [​IMG] Yay!
    ( I suspect most of us do!)

12. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Olive oil is really good for your skin, although wearing a bin bag sounds nasty, why not wear cotton pyjamas instead?
    You're absolutely right AE she looks scraggy (love that word) and while we might look fat (sorry) we all look better than that. [​IMG]

13. Well, my skin is lovely, I make sure I don't have dry skin by using baby oil with aloe vera, put it on as soon as I get out of the shower. I also use botanical oils, or the soap and glory range. The chlorine from swimming strips the oils from my skin and makes my face really tight if I don't moisturise straight away.

14. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Pure shea butter is very good - get it by the tubful from Amazon

15. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter

Are you sugessting she scrapes them with forks or garden rakes?

16. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter

suggesting even

17. Come on now Marshy. Where's your sense of fun? [​IMG]
    It'll be a break-through treatment. Someone somewhere suggested wrapping people in cling-film to get them to sweat...my 'moisturising bin bags' legs treatment will be just as ground-breaking. I'll flog them as 'moisture bags' though, and have them made in pink with scalloped edges.. Only £20 each. Bargain.
    [​IMG]

PS: Big 500ml tubs of Olive Oil Cream and Aqueous Cream on sale in my local Pound Shop. No idea if they are any good, but like most creams, even the most expensive, ingredients consist of 'aqua'..(cough) and liquid paraffin.

18. I have swiped Mr C's baby bottom butter - I have no idea what he uses it for and I'm not at all sure I really want to, but is does feel good on the shins. Oh, apparently he uses it on his cracked heels.
    Adieu lizard legs. Must just get scrubby thingy to exfoliate.
    Brilliant suggestions everyone - many thanks.

19. lrw22

lrw22 Occasional commenter

Aqueous cream is fab. Makes skin really soft......a complete bargain!