1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Living together unmarried in Middle East

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Goosestepandgone, Aug 22, 2017.

1. mikemcdonald25

mikemcdonald25 Occasional commenter

Just noticed the new addition to the hippo's account details - congrats old pachyderm - when did that happen? Or is it just like a gong from the Queen, a kind of long service medal.

As for the current topic, I think the old stagers have it over the thrusting newbies. Yes you could do it and get away with it, but its a risk and I personally wouldn't do it! I particulalrly like the oldgits point. Many of the contracts we sign have a clause about respecting the customs of the country we are in and usually one about not gettting involved in local politics and/or business activity.

You do it at your peril!

ejclibrarian likes this.
  2. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

Even in, fairly, liberal Egypt, you have to be careful of cohabiting

Upset your bawab (apartment security / odd-job man / lazy ****) and he can denounce the female as a prostitute

Same can happen to single females if they have regular male "guests"

Having to explain that to your bosses can be a bit of a nightmare

However, lots of "married" couples out here

3. Penny10p

Penny10p Occasional commenter

25 jobs in the UAE on TES today. I wonder if lots of teachers have changed their minds after reading the recent threads on the forum!

Teachallover likes this.
  4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Hmm. I was having dinner the other night with the new chap who has just joined us at my school in Shenzhen. He had the misfortune to be at the C******** "university" school in Qatar for two years. He said that when he first arrived in Doha, there were 43 new teachers. By the end of his two-year contract, there were only two left.