1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Living in Rwanda

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Desert Fox, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Desert Fox

Desert Fox New commenter

I have worked in the Middle East and SE Asia. i am now considering a move to Africa. Possibly Rwanda, Nigeria.
    Does know what sort of salary or take home one would expect as a Principal?

2. TonyGT

TonyGT Established commenter

Not enough.

Seriously, I know it sounds a bit Daily Mail but have you looked at the Home Office's advice on travel to Nigeria? It doesn't paint a pretty picture

3. agbak

agbak New commenter

Nigeria is not that bad....
    Blame the media to create hysteria and fear
    Taught in Abuja and Lagos!

4. Principal-Skinner

Principal-Skinner Occasional commenter

An ex Principal there has his contribution to this thread deleted, but mentioned shooting and death being common in schools there.. The media are too soft towards Nigeria.

5. agbak

agbak New commenter

Not all parts of Nigeria....
    Coming To Think Of It,Where In The World Is Safe?

6. agbak

agbak New commenter

So Far BA,Flies In Daily To Lagos And Abuja

7. Principal-Skinner

Principal-Skinner Occasional commenter

Outside of the US, not many countries have people walking around schools with guns as normal behaviour, other than Nigeria. Been there, never again.

8. TonyGT

TonyGT Established commenter

I see this argument a lot on here, usually in a sentence like "you could get mugged and shot in the streets of central London. I don't see how it's any different to the Democratic Republic of Congo".

It's not just about the chances of something bad happening. It's all about how well-protected you would feel by the local authorities were something to go wrong.