1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Living in Rehab

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by holmes5668, Aug 21, 2011.

1. We just arrived in Cairo and are currently living in Maadi. However, our school is in El Sherouk City, so we are thinking of taking a look at places in Rehab. We are a family of three (five year old). We don't need much in the way of cultural pursuits during the week, but we would like to cut the bus journey to school down. Really, we are looking for somewhere that is clean, preferably green and good for kids. Would Rehab fit the bill?
    Also, would the cost of accommodation be cheaper in Rehab (relative to Maadi)?
    We are enjoying Maadi, but thinking about the practicalities of daily life.

2. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

Do a search for Alphaalpha and send him a personal message through this site - he's the resident Al Rehab expert

3. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

Do a search for Alphaalpha on this site and then send him a personal message - he's the resident Al Rehab expert on here

4. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

Sorry about the double post. I got a lot of error messages saying it hadn't posted so I posted again

5. Reports are that Rehab is very clean, smart and has all the facilities you need.
    Apart from a boozer.
    Boozer as in pub, not, as in Alphaalpha! Hoo hoo.

6. Alphaalpha

Alphaalpha New commenter

As BFG has said, you are welcome to contact me for Al Rehab advice. Nice place to live and work!

7. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

Ramadan kareem Alpha

8. Thanks for the posts and PMs. I think it's a go, but need to find somewhere. There is another teacher moving out there too (who's been here for years), so we have some help with looking for places.

9. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

They tried to make me go there
    But I said no.................

10. Alphaalpha

Alphaalpha New commenter

Holmes - check your mail!

11. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

I spent ten days in Rehab three years ago, a bizarre experience where my job fell through a day before term began (despite having a signed contract it seemed easier to take a month's salary and get back to the UK).
    I had no problem with the place at all, though the quality of my apartment could have been better, and see no reason why you wouldn't be comfortable there with your family.

12. Rehab is wonderful, green and (relatively) clean and peaceful in comparison to some other areas of Cairo. However, you tend to get less for your buck so you DO need to bargain carefully and it is completely dry - i.e. nowhere serves alcohol. I know of several people who did the move in reverse to save money.
    Plenty of ex-pats do live there and I am sure you will meet several of them at various places. Tota at the back of the souk is a great place run by an ex-pat who organises a variety of activities including a mother's club and ladies coffee mornings. I am sure they can put you in touch with others in the area who have a child/children of a similar age to yours.
    To the best of my knowledge, the cost of the sports club is a little high but you might want to talk to your school to find out about that. In theory owners of apartments have automatic access to the club and this is sometimes passed to tenants as part of the rent. That would only be an issue if you wanted to go swimming or to use the running track/gym equipment.
    Cycling, running and going for a leisurely stroll are all perfectly safe pursuits for a family with a child and the local mall has a little fun fair too. On the far side near the souk is another kind of fair ground but I can't vouch for the safety of the place although it is popular with the local kids.
    Am trying to work out which school you are at. Geography is not my strong point and I have been out of Egypt for a while now.

13. We were taken to view an apartment today in Rehab in Ro (compound?): 56. It's between the highway and Rehab Mall 2. Is that a good area are there better?
    Is it easy to get a cab there? Is it as easy to get one back?

14. Not sure what you mean by a highway. Do you mean the main road INSIDE Rehab or the one outside?
    Being near Mall 2 is a good option for apartments and 56 is as good a place as any. There are houses (known locally as VILLAS) near Mall 2 as well which are nice but obviously more expensive.
    There are some local black cabs that cruise the area or there are some pretty good private firms that cost more - you might need to book one to collect you on a regular basis.