1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Living in Abu Dhabi

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by frees1spirit, Feb 2, 2011.

1. frees1spirit

frees1spirit New commenter

I will be moving to Abu Dhabi in August and am very excited. I have read all I could find about living there. Anyone else going out there in August or already there? Any tips?
    Thank you.

2. guissepp

guissepp New commenter

Congrats on moving out there! My girlfriend and i are thinking of doing the same. can you direct us to anywhere that you think could help us out please? We will also pass on any info we will come across.

best of luck
    guissepp!

3. frees1spirit

I googled 'living in Abu Dhabi' and 'Cost of living in Abu Dhabi' and just read most things that came up. This has given me a general feel for the place.
    I liked the site Abu Dhabi Woman as well.
    Are you thinking of a particular school?

4. Thisismytruth

Thisismytruth New commenter

5. Life is good in Abu Dhabi... I get by here without having a car, as taxis are so cheap and the city is compact, so you can get around the city for about 3 pounds at the very maximum (unless you go off the island...). There are heaps of bars, beach clubs, shopping malls and the restaurants are my most favourite thing. I've liked it here, but it can get frustrating at times and the building work is particularly annoying! Let me know if you've got any questions, I'll be happy to help :D

6. frees1spirit

Thanks a lot.

7. frees1spirit

Thisismytruth,
    Is this your blog?

8. I moved to Abu Dhabi in September 2010 and love it out here. Abu Dhabi is a great city with something for everyone.
    If you've got any questions just ask or send me a PM.
    What school will you be working at?
    Kate

9. frees1spirit

Will PM you.
    Does anyone have any thoughts on The Club? Is it worth the money?

10. The Club is definitiely worth it's membership rates especially since it's one of the cheapest aorund. However, you need 2 or 3 existing members to second your membership (so it takes a while to find/meet these when you are new) & it's usually a 3 month waiting list. Maybe start paperwork once settled & join somewhere else while you wait for mebership to arrive. LOts of options. Cheaper options at hotels on Yas I'd assume. :)

11. Thisismytruth

Spirit, yes it is. Should have said do.

12. Looking for some help,
    My husband and I are thinking of moving out to Abu Dhabi, I have been to dubai, but have heard Abu Dhabi is nicer and less hectic!
    I am a primary teacher, he is in finance. Im looking for some information on wages for teachers, what kind of packages to expect and good schools to look into.
    Any help much appreciated.

13. Thisismytruth

Oops, SO, not DO.

http://www.britishschool.sch.ae/images/Teachers%20salary%20scale%202011-12.pdf These are the salary scales for one of the highest payers. Few match this though. Some pay as little as half of this at top of scale.

14. frees1spirit

Photoframe,
    I have been wondering about getting a car. Do you live close to your place of work?
    I have read that the traffic is awful. When it's cooler weather, is it okay to walk?

15. Our school provides transport for us to and from school... so I don't need a car. Also my accommodation is very central so I can walk everywhere when it's not too hot (from Nov till April) or alternatively take a taxi. I guess you need to check where your accommodation is, I know that a lot of schools are starting to put people out of the city in Mussaffa or Kalifa, which really would require a car (but personally I wouldn't take a job if they didn't put me in central AD!).
    As for the traffic... it's more the driving that's an issue. My friends who drive find it very stressful and as it's illegal to make gestures then it's hard to take the frustration out on anyone!! Plus if you have an accident and it's an emirati you've crashed into... it's your fault, regardless!! Way too stressful for my liking!

16. rednelly84

rednelly84 New commenter

You will find taxis almost everywhere in AD city. Just be careful in the mornings as getting a taxi is extremely tricky as everyone uses them at that time!
    PM which school...I also teach in AD. I live in the CC and work in a suburb outside.
    :)

17. Are you aware of the laws regarding people living together if they are not married? Basically it is illegal. Keep it in mind. A lot of people do it, but if caught you could be sent to prison or deported. If you are both planning on getting jobs then you will probably each be given your own accomodation. If one of you is not wanting to work, then you will have problems if you are not married. As far as I know that person wouldn't be able to get a visa.

18. Hi all! Will be moving to abu dhabi in August to start a primary teaching job, was just wondering if anyone was in the same boat!
    Jo

19. I've just been offered a position in a school in Abu Dhabi and I'm really excited at the prospect of moving to the middle east in August. Would love to chat to anyone who is in the same position as me......anyone who's interested PM me your email address or facebook address! :)

20. just sent you a pm as I'm off there as well, really excited about going feels a bit mad knowing that I'm leaving the UK!!