1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

living in a 'riot' zone

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon1369, Aug 10, 2011.

1. MrCC lives smack bang in the middle of the 'riot' zone in our city and things have been really bad although so far the cars and house have not been touched. We were staying in his house in the 'riot' zone for the first night and thankfully have been staying elsewhere since.He starts work next week and will be finishing work at midnight and is petrified about cycling home as it is right along the roads which have been worst hit and also happen to be the roads which are rather dangerous to go along at that time. Obviously it might all be over soon but it is still making him nervous.
    The whole situation is just ridiculous, the thugs are making people afraid of living in their own homes. MrCC has always argued his area is nothing like its bad reputation and has now said he feels ashamed to be from there. He wants to get out asap as do his parents but that will take at least a few weeks to get things set up.
    I was proud of my city and now these imbeciles are out to ruin it. I am so angry at the whole thing and feel sorry for those who have been personally affected. After seeing what they are doing to the city I have no objection to the police using force against them, but that is a matter of opinion.
    Just thought I would share (and vent some of my anger!)

2. MrCC lives smack bang in the middle of the 'riot' zone in our city and things have been really bad although so far the cars and house have not been touched. We were staying in his house in the 'riot' zone for the first night and thankfully have been staying elsewhere since.He starts work next week and will be finishing work at midnight and is petrified about cycling home as it is right along the roads which have been worst hit and also happen to be the roads which are rather dangerous to go along at that time. Obviously it might all be over soon but it is still making him nervous.
    The whole situation is just ridiculous, the thugs are making people afraid of living in their own homes. MrCC has always argued his area is nothing like its bad reputation and has now said he feels ashamed to be from there. He wants to get out asap as do his parents but that will take at least a few weeks to get things set up.
    I was proud of my city and now these imbeciles are out to ruin it. I am so angry at the whole thing and feel sorry for those who have been personally affected. After seeing what they are doing to the city I have no objection to the police using force against them, but that is a matter of opinion.
    Just thought I would share (and vent some of my anger!)

3. My sympathies, it is not fair. My friend lives in St Anne's in Nottingham and is scared to go out. I have suggested she just goes out in the morning because the b.uggers will still be in bed then. In the short term could he get a taxi just for a few days? (No real solution I know!).
    I was really move this morning when I heard a Sikh man so upset about what was going on. "We're British!!" he said. I don't really like what being British seems to stand for any more.

4. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

He must get a taxi.
    But it's like that in some areas all year round. Just take cautious measures to change outdoor routines and habits accordingly . . . . . things will blow over and then it'll be business as usual.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Well if Gloucester can be affected - it seems anywhere can be affected.
    And that is really worrying.

6. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

Hmmm, I'd be interested to hear from someone from Gloucester as to how bad things were there - I heard it was some kind of stand-off between the police and some youths. I listened to France 24 news a couple days ago and it sounded like things were as bad in Bristol, Liverpool and Nottingham as it was in London. Of course, last night, things were worse in Nottingham.

MM

7. Bloo.dy numpties. There isn't even a political point to what they're doing.

8. Of course there isn't. They know they are untouchable and are making the most of it. Happens day in and day out in some areas, this is just on a much grander scale and the increasing press attention fuels them even more.

9. Hi,
    I live in Gloucester and I think the situation last night was relatively minor in comparison to the 'real' cities like Birmingham and Manchester. As Gloucester is so small , the scale of it was literally on the main street in the centre (Barton Street). The general opinion is that it was small town thugs playing at being hard and copying their bigger harder mates in the real cities. They trashed and looted a few shops and set fire to a vehicle and an empty college building. Asda was shut and guarded as it is just along from where the trouble was. The situation was much more containable on this scale according to police, although Gloucester residents are just as disgusted as people from bigger cities.
    The area it happened was in the run down centre, although it is not exactly a ghetto. I think the general picture of Gloucester is the Cotswolds and posh little villages, but it is not all like that.
    Anyone else from Gloucester out there?

10. And therein lies the problem.

11. Exactly.
    All kicking off again where we are.

12. henriette

henriette New commenter

I live in Reading. BBC reported a number of arrests for rioting.
    It turns out that:
    a) in the "roughest" part of town a car was turned over and set on fire: standard for a Friday night, but not midweek, I grant you.
    b) on the "notorious" Oxford Road (mixed ethnicity, prostitutes on some side roads), a group of "30" "hooded and masked" "youths" gathered and were "dispersed" by TVP: helicopters have been around for the last few nights.
    I hardly call that a "riot" although some of the papers do!!

13. I'm just outside Gloucester City - which means I live in the middle of a rural idyll!
    Lots of meeja have described Gloucester as the' cathedral city on the Welsh border" or an "historic Roman city on the edge of the Cotswolds" - none seem to be able to see what is actually here - a run down, mainly empty, sad city full of non-working/never worked locals. Most think of Cheltenham when they say Gloucester (not that Nam is much better, tbh).
    The local news described the Barton Street riot as a "sad, uncoordinated attempt at imitating the big boys up in London!" Made me smile as I think I could probably name about 10 of the approximately 20 - 30 'rioters' who were the most active on that one night, for about 2 hours before they got bored and went home! They didn't even make it anywhere near The Cross, the main city centre (about a 5 minute walk from Barton Street).
    So yes, the Matson Mafia had a night out! But they didn't care to repeat themselves once the police came out to play! There just isn't the impetus or leadership to be too bad.
    Having said that one of the local Nam families did give it a go - but was arrested on site as he has an ASBO in place!

14. Oh! I lied! Apparently one of the rioters dropped his trousers and had a poo right in the middle of The Cross!
    They couldn't get into Asda cos the police were there and the back of Argos had a bit of trouble!
    So they did get into the centre.... go the Gloster Boys!

15. Thanks for all the replies, sorry I haven't had chance to respond until now. For the first few weeks I will be able to pick him up from work but once school starts I will no longer be able to do so. Hopefully things will definitely be ok by then.
    Thankfully things seem to have calmed down around here but there are still extra police on the streets but who knows what will happen when they are no longer patrolling.
    The whole situation still seems very bizarre but heres hoping it's all over!

16. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Good. I'm sure it'll be fine.

17. Hi Pobble,
    Your post gave me a giggle as I am about 4 miles from the centre on a housing estate and appreciated the Matson Mafia having a night out. I wonder if they were joined by their cousins, the Coney Hill Crew? Some bright spark put a message on the 'This is Gloucestershire' website inviting people to meet at Glos park on Wednesday night and to come 'tooled up' ready to take out Eastern Avenue (Comet, PC World etc). Funny that the police were ready and waiting for them in the park that night......
    I taught at the school next to Asda about 10 or so years ago so my ex pupils would be about 18 now. Makes me wonder if any of my ex delights were involved. Although the situation is far from laughable, these small town idiots trying to join in certainly is.