1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Living hand to mouth

Discussion in 'Personal' started by thelovelyliz, Mar 4, 2011.

1. A post from another forum I use brought this home to me - by a woman who has two young children and is expecting a third.
    I won't quote directly but the woman describes wanting chocolate so digging behind her sofa to get a £2 coin she knows is there, however, the part which surprised me was her admitting "we're totally skint so I couldn't go and buy any" (so she went behind the sofa.)
    Money is very tight for us, but I suppose I was taken aback by somebody being "so" broke - what if there had been an emergency?
    And is it just me or is that a silly thing to do with the last £2 coin?

2. A post from another forum I use brought this home to me - by a woman who has two young children and is expecting a third.
    I won't quote directly but the woman describes wanting chocolate so digging behind her sofa to get a £2 coin she knows is there, however, the part which surprised me was her admitting "we're totally skint so I couldn't go and buy any" (so she went behind the sofa.)
    Money is very tight for us, but I suppose I was taken aback by somebody being "so" broke - what if there had been an emergency?
    And is it just me or is that a silly thing to do with the last £2 coin?

3. Nah, there's not much you can do with £2 anyway.

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

I have lived like that and it's horrible. In an emergency, you borrow, if you can.
    As for the chocolate, so what?

5. Her last £2 till when? The next day?

6. Not specified, I imagine not until Monday unless she or her partner get some sort of cash-in-hand (which they could well do.)

7. Not enough information to comment on, but I would wonder why a couple with two children who are living hand-to-mouth thought it would be a good idea to bless society with a third.

8. On this forum two children make you a light weight, Lily.

9. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

They were lucky!
    £2!!!
    When I were a lad ...

Living hand to mouth is okay, I have done it for a few years and you don't worry after a while, you just know something will turn up and it does.

10. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Anybody who logs on to their computer and uses their Internet connection to write posts complaining that they have no money can suck dust for their supper

11. To be fair, she wasn't complaining about it; I think her acceptance of it as normal was what surprised me.
    If we had nothing but a £2 coin in the house I would have been very anxious.

12. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I think thats a bit blinkered. What if they need the internet for work but are just struggling financially?As a new business I know how that feels.

13. doomzebra

Oh yeah, right . . .

14. inky

inky Lead commenter

Translation, please?

15. doomzebra

Gosh, you are correct, that is an option I had not considered, how foolish do I now feel, what a silly silly zebra I am

16. Given the tone of the forum as reported by thelovelyliz, I didn't infer that these were self-employed entrepreneurs. But there is a dearth of detail.

17. inky

inky Lead commenter

I didn't understadn what your meant by Oh yeah, right. OK?

18. inky

inky Lead commenter

understand
    you

Sorry - I'm typing in near-darkness.

19. doomzebra

And I provided you with a translation. OK?

20. doomzebra

If you look down the back of the sofa, there may be a two-pound coin for the meter.