1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Living costs in Bangkok

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by phat_sue, May 24, 2018.

1. phat_sue

phat_sue New commenter

Hi,

I'm after some info on living costs for Bangkok.
    Been offered just over 100,000thb a month with a housing contribution. There's 4 of us to feed. I know living costs are less there but anyone got any figures for bills/tv/phone/internet etc?
    We'd try eat local but the kids are young and will still want the odd pizza or burger!

Thanks!

2. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

That is a good salary for Bangkok, without paying rent. It is more than enough for a family to live on but the main thing will be accommodation so I would nail down the extra housing allowance. Do a search for 'renting a condo' and take note of how expensive it can be - upwards of 70000 a month for a two bedroom condo. You want the allowance in writing before accepting the job, and negotiate - don't take the first offer - same with the salary. Better would be to get them to provide a house with utilities. If you are sure they want you, negotiate hard and get it all in writing and crystal clear before accepting.

3. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Established commenter

Dont listen to that. Any decent school will not negotiate. Its a good salary, and find something that fits your allowance. Check out numbeo.com for cost of living.

4. englishdragon

englishdragon Occasional commenter

5. phat_sue

phat_sue New commenter

Thanks I'll check them out!
    Get 20,000thb for accommodation but it talks about it being added then taxed and deducted?? Not sure I fully understand it!

6. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

pm’d you.

7. Thaicowman

Thaicowman New commenter

70,000 baht a month would be an excessive amount to spend on rent!

8. worlo24

worlo24 New commenter

The 20,000THb per month for rent will probably end up being around 17,000THB after deductions. You can find places for this but depends on where you want to live. I have a friend who earns just over 100,000B with a wife and two children and he earns enough to enjoy life but is not saving anything. I have been here a few years and have noticed a rise in prices - street food is cheap but weekly shopping and eating out in western style restaurants is as expensive as the UK, if not more in some places.

grdwdgrrrl likes this.
  9. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

I agree with Worlo, 100,000 will get you a reasonable life with a family, but you won`t save much.

10. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

We pay 25K a month for accommodation and it is a four bed four bathroom detached house, although that is out near Don Muang. About 10K a month for bills dependent upon how much air con we use plus 5K a week for shopping when we go to Foodland, more if we decide to go to Central Chid Lom.

PS: binaryhex may be a "lead" commenter but they know little about Bangkok from the sound of things. 15 years ago, when first I came to Bangkok I was taking home more than 100K a month.....with free housing.

Perce

englishdragon and dumbbells66 like this.
  11. simon43

simon43 New commenter

Bangkok is not a cheap city - prices have risen substantially since I moved there in 2002.

Personally, I think 100,000 baht is a low salary, especially for a family of 4. You won't save much!

12. phat_sue

phat_sue New commenter

I guess it also depends on the conversion rate??
    Reading the offer again the rates they're quoting makes it nearer to 130,000 a month.
    We're not desperate to save money, we're doing it for the experience, adventure and travel opportunities. We'll hopefully make a little on our house here which will top up over there.

grdwdgrrrl likes this.
  13. schmedz

schmedz Occasional commenter

I've sent you a PM, but on that salary you'll be fine! And your other half can always apply to do exam invigilation or run some after-school activities for pocket money...

14. schmedz

I agree with percy that bills are around 4000-5000 THB a week for groceries (even at Central Chid Lom!), internet is around 600THB per month and a phone package with four numbers and 30GB shared data is just under 1000B (or you can get PAYG: until your work permit comes, you can't get a contract) Electricity most expensive as we're in a condo, so around 4000-5000THB a month but water cheap. There is apparently a new law that says it's not legal to charge above government rates for electricity/water but not sure how this will be enforced.
    Biggest expenditure is holidays! :)

15. fordseries123

fordseries123 New commenter

130,000baht seems like a good wage (depending on your position and experience of course) are you sure this is the amount per month after tax?

16. phat_sue

phat_sue New commenter

No this would be before tax. No idea how to get my head round the tax!

17. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

You`ll lose 15000 to 20000 of that in tax.

18. schmedz

Yes - tax averages out at around 17-18%. But if you leave Thailand after your first two year contract (or even change to another Thai school after your first 2-year contract) you can claim all your tax back. I know a great UK-trained accountant here who has claimed on behalf of several colleagues (for a fee, obviously, but still great amount of money returned to each and every one of us!)

19. tjh102

tjh102 Occasional commenter

Schmedz... I knew about if you moved back to the UK, but not about changing schools. Do you kmow what the time limit on claims is? I changed schools last summer and wonder if it is too late.

grdwdgrrrl likes this.
  20. nemo.

nemo. New commenter

Rubbish salary. 140k min in Bangkok and for a family of 4 one non working partner? If free house, annual flights, full medical and free child places its ok.

100k isn't enough. Hell as a single guy I turned down more than that years ago (I worked in Thailand 13 years ago for 2 years)