1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Living close to school? Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by irasor, May 19, 2011.

1. ... Don't know if this is the most appropriate place to put this post but ...
    I was offered my very first teaching position today and am absolutley chuffed! However, the school is not in the area I currently live and as my current lease for my (shabby student) house is up at the end of June, it makes sense for me to move to be closer to the school.
    However, how close is too close? I don't drive, so rely on public transport (which I hate) and the school is in the town centre, right beside a large bus and train station so it is highly accessible.
    I was originally thinking of looking for somewhere in the town centre too, infact I found some lovely and affordable flats within 5 mins walking distance of the school, however I am slightly worried about this as I don't want to feel as though I constantly have to be on my 'best behaviour' when in public lol incase I bump into any pupils/parents.
    So what should I do? How close is too close? Any thoughts welcomed :D

2. I live quite a distance away from my school, so I never bump into pupils or parents unless I call into a local supermarket on my way home. The downside is that it can often take over an hour to get to and from school... on balance, I think I'd rather have a five minute walk and arrange my nights out a little bit out of town!!

3. QFE

QFE New commenter

Well done on the job offer! All my schools have been within my local area. It has never been a problem. In 20 years I've actually only bumped into 20 odd children/families.
    The two that gave me the most amusement were;
    1. At the till in Tescburys on a Friday night, among other things, I had a 4 pack of my favourite beer. Mum of current pupil was on the till. At the end of the year, my present from said pupil was a 4 pack of my favourite beer!
    2. On holiday in Cornwall (some 200 klicks form home), enjoying a costal walk in the middle of nowhere with Mrs QFE - nothing but raptors and the basking sharks for miles around, a large family group appears in hiking gear; 'Ooooo look, it's Mr QFE.'
    My only word of caution would be having a night on the town - parents don't mind seeing you out for a beer or three on the weekend, but if you're going to be ****** and jeffing and generally letting your hair down, go elsewhere so you can have plausible deniability!

4. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

I lived in the catchment area of my training school and also live in the catchment area of my current school. It is a 9-13 state middle school in a fairly deprived area. I have never had a problem living here and love the fact that I am a 3 minute drive/ 10 minute walk away.

5. I did it - it wasn't a problem (gave a couple of the Y6s out trick or treating the fright of their lives when they hit on my door by mistake... especially since it was only mid-October then). In fact, when some of the OTHER local kids were playing a stupid game flicking stones around and hit my car - I had about 6 kids from our school at my back door within 30 seconds to tell me it had happened and liberally sprag the culprit up!
    Odd problems such as bad weather and a snow closure - but parents dumping their kids and running anyway (charming huh?) so someone had to get there... had to be me since I was the nearest - but that was really it, and having a 5 minute journey to get to school on a morning, and home, especially after parents evening was really really nice!

6. It'd be lovely. Convenient, more free time, more free money.
    As you say the school is in the city centre anyway, surely even if you lived out of town you'd be going into the city centre for your nights out? Even if I worked where I lived it wouldn't bother me as if im going for a big night out i go into the city centre.

7. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

For me, nay.
    I teach in a school where several people I went to school with send their kids... And the majority of them are from disadvantaged backgrounds and have challenging behaviour...so it can be quite uncomfortable...
    However I imagine moving new to an area of your school could be good asit is nice having the short journey in the mornings! And as people said, you don't see them around as much as you might think, I just never fully relax in the pub now as I'm always aware parents are likely to be about!

8. thanks everyone for taking the time to reply, havn't decided exactly
    what to do yet, but think I am leaning more towards living near the
    school, would just be so handy! :D
    It's a primary school in quite
    a nice area (well, from the little I know of it, it seems nice), so
    hopefully wouldn't really have any trouble from the pupils, it was more
    the parents I was worrying about to be honest! Very interesting to hear such different opinions too, thanks again, Irasor x

9. Near or away from school you never know when they will pop up and surprise you! I had the misfortune of bumping into a parent in a club miles away from school just after they had watched me dancing on a table doing my best shakira impression [​IMG]

10. haha pinkflipflop - that is what I dread happening! x

11. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

That would give you street cred with the parents at my school pinkflipflop!

12. Oh it did! He tried to buy me a drink shortly after it.

13. marymoocow

My child's teacher lives in our village. I was once in the pub with a none teaching friend who said "Ooh look there is Miss M shall we go and sit with her?" She really couldnt understand why Miss M wouldnt want parents sitting with her. As a fellow teacher we actually are friends and had I been on my own we probably would have had a drink together, but my friend is every teachers nightmare. As her friend I get sick of hearing about her precious darling!

14. I live in the same large town as my school, but on completely the opposite town. All seemed fine for several years. Then I had to make a child protection referral and found out the mother was my GP's receptionist. [​IMG] I changed GPs pretty sharpish!

15. marymoocow

Sunflower makes a good point. I wouldnt want to live near my present school as they are the sort of parent that have no social boundaries. ie can see no problem in sending staff friends requests on face book. However the main problem is because I have made so many CP referrals over the years, some of which have involved very nasty people that I would be afraid of getting a brick through my window. One teacher who does live close, has had his car damaged twice by a disgruntled parent.
    I have lived near a school in my first year of teaching in a nice area and didnt have a problem. However if you stay for longer than I did, then you are more likely to meet and have to deal with a parent that has got an axe to grind no matter what area you live in. In your NQT year though anything that makes your life easier helps, so I would give it a go. You can always move if it doesnt work out.

16. My GP (well one of them) was actually a parent in the class - wasn't actually a problem, it came up once in a consultation, "well what do you do for a living"... "I teach"... "really? where?"... "x school"... "oh my kids go there"... "yeah, your daughter's in my class"... "OHHHHHHH!!!!"
    Was actually quite funny - he just hadn't made the association at all (and he was professional to the letter about things - mind you, I saw mum more of the time anyway).