1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Living at school - any tips?

Discussion in 'Independent' started by tea_and_cake, Jun 24, 2011.

1. From September, I'll be teaching at a boarding school and living on site. Judging by the address, my flat will be about six feet from my classroom! I have visions of either never leaving work behind, or at the other end of the scale, rolling out of bed and teaching in my dressing gown! Any advice on how to keep home and school separate in this situation? I live out of catchment area for my current job, so this is a big change!

2. Leave your flat at the same time each day, and go back about the same time each day.

3. Yes - make sure that you always put some clothes on!

4. Thanks to you both - equally helpful suggestions!

5. I've been living/working in a similar situation for the past six months (could throw stones at my classroom... as if I'd want to) and haven't found it too bad at all - I think it depends on your colleagues. Mine are very reluctant to knock on my door, and usually call my mobile if they want something, despite the fact my phone's on the internal school loop - sounds like a tiny thing but it does make me feel 'out of it'.
    I quite quickly moved all of my resources and planning files down into my classroom, and I only bring back the work I'm actually going to do of a night/weekend - makes my living room a 'school-free' zone. Of course if you do this, you also need a key to your classroom block because you'll want some random textbook, stack of essays or handful of notes at 2pm on Sunday :)
    I remember when I was at secondary boarding school we sometimes got invited to staff member's houses for tutorials and things as a 'treat' - I would never, ever consider doing that. My house! Go away! Possibly child protection guidelines have changed since "my day" anyway...
    If you've got colleagues you get along with it can be awesome - ready-made social scene. It's claustrophobic too - remember to leave campus regularly, even if you don't need to.

6. Thanks, esim - that's quite reassuring. It wouldn't occur to me to invite pupils into my home; what would they think of the mess?! I get the impression that the social scene is quite good at this school, but I am planning to try and get off-site a couple of evenings each week, if only to meet other people locally or go to the gym. And, by living in free accomodation, I'll more money for going out!

7. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

If you are doing boarding duties, there can be a potential problem when it comes to areas such as checking pupils' prep, speaking to parents at the start/end of term, and so on.
    Make sure that you have access to the housemaster's study (or similar) for this as, has been mentioned, it is no longer acceptable to use one's own private accommodation for such purposes (although that used to be very common in the past - in my first job I was actually timetabled to teach A-level in my own flat!).

8. Ha ha, Florian - that was my position too and, in one case, in the students' dorm! I was 22 at the time...I don't think that would happen today, or, if it did, it would probably make the headlines!

9. My serious advice is:
    a) Buy a place and rent it out so that you can earn money and have a place of your own in the future. This does not need to be near your work.
    b) Be careful of what you do - no matter how discreet you think you are, the students will undoubtedly know your every move.
    c) Consider how you will answer questions about your personal life.
    d) Be professional - don't try to be mates with your students.
    e) Have a social life outside the school as well as in it - maybe belong to a few clubs/ sports activities outside.
    f) Remember that you don't have to answer the door all the time if you ar not on call. You could be asleep/ in the bath/ having private time.
    g) Carefully manage your time so that the role does not become all consuming
    Enjoy!

10. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

I live on site, albeit not in the school building, but I always make sure that if I need to work in the evening I go into school and do it - nothing school related in my cottage! I also find that by about Wed/Thur I just need to get into the car and go to a supermarket to get off site!! Suppose that might be different if I was involved in away matches though, it's the change of scenery I need!

11. Thanks again to all replies. I already own a house and am looking into letting it out (quite a long drive from new job). If I like the school and look like staying long-term, I may try to buy a second property nearby to escape to at weekends. I love the thought of not taking work home, and will definitely try to keep all work in the classroom - at the moment my dining table is covered in coursework!