1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Liverpool council to start building council houses for first time in 30 years

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, May 21, 2019.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/new...rpool-council-start-building-council-16293639

"Liverpool City Council is set to start building council homes for the first time in 30 years, Mayor Joe Anderson has confirmed.

The city leader said the authority will once again be able to build affordable, local authority properties after reaching an agreement with government that he said involves wiping off a whopping £130m of existing debt.

Mayor Anderson - who has also launched a council-led housing company called Foundations, and promised to create 10,000 new homes - said the deal comes after months of talks with Kit Malthouse, the government's Housing Minister and his team."

Does this mean that the Tories are now accepting that RTB was a disaster that should never have been allowed to happen?

monicabilongame likes this.
  2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

I can't see any reason to conclude that.
    The council transferred its homes to housing associations inthe 2000s to benefit from the Labour government’s Decent Homes funding for improvement.

3. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

What has that got to do with the Tories?

4. LondonCanary

Nothing. Thats the point.

5. Ivartheboneless

No that means you have no point to make, as usual.

monicabilongame likes this.
  6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Around my way you can spot which developments happened under a Labour administration and which ones went through under the Tories.

Two under Labour have bus lanes, wide paths, cycle tracks, woodland walks, public spaces and are generally pleasant. Cars are put away from pedestrian areas and bins don't dominate pavements.

The Tory ones are cramped, developers seem to be trying to fit as many homes onto as little space, roads are tight, parking and car storage isn't taken into account, bins line pavements and generally they just seem poorly thought out. Oh and buses/bicycles aren't really factored into the thinking.

7. LondonCanary

The point is Liverpool divested its council housing in the 2000s due to government incentives. Clear now?

8. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

During the 2000s local authorities had no option about divesting housing stock. The money could go to Housing Associations but not local authorities, hence many were offloaded to HAs in vast numbers.

9. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

Houses sold under right to be couldn't have the money reinvested back into new housing stock.

10. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

It was a great success, big vote winner and kept them in power, the future is other people's problem.

Most of his points recently seem to be about sneering at anything DoY says.

11. Ivartheboneless

Not in the least. What you write has nothing to do with the original post. But you do this on every thread you post on.

sparkleghirl likes this.
  12. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I wish the council good luck. It has thousands of houses waiting to be brought up to standard and it couldn't even get that task right. Its slum policies in the past were a disaster and the estates those folks were sent to are still not settled some 50 plus years later.
    Seems the good news hasn't reached the front pages of the local paper yet.
    https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/

13. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Here's a bit of housing history for you Oldie. Liverpool was the first council ever to build council housing. It was done on the advice of the chief medical officer following an outbreak of cholora, caused by Irish migrants fleeing the potato famine. These migrants were living in Liverpool slums, many families to a dwelling and with poor sanitation.

The measure proved to be such a great success, that other councils started building houses that would improve living conditions for those in need of decent homes.

However at some point in time, a housing act was passed by parliament that controlled the amount councils could increase rents by. All worked well until the oil crisis in the 70s caused rampant inflation. The cost of maintaining the housing stock was greater than the revenue councils were getting in rent.

The sensible thing to have done would have been to review the act, so that rents could keep pace with inflation, but when in your adult life have you known a government do anything as sensible as that?

14. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I have news for you. Im a Scouser and I lived to some extent through some of this period, I lived on an estate of so called modern house which were badly designed and cold and drafty.
    I was there duringe the slum clearances and saw the result that whole communities where ripped apart by the council's plans.
    This is not to say they were wrong in thier attampt to alleviate terrible housing and living conditions, but rather the methodology and social housing plan was sus.
    Please dont try to tell me the history of my own city.
    One appreciates the causal reasons for actions but some of the councils actions did not go well.
    This is the joy of slum clearances

This is an alternative point of view of the 70's

Again of the 60.s
    https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=the+slum+clearances+of+liverpool
    Even today slums exist because of the failure of council policies to regenerate
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/mar/27/liverpool-rotting-housing-renewal-pathfinder