1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lively year nines...

Discussion in 'English' started by figgins, Jan 25, 2011.

1. I'm doing Shakespeare with a group of year nines who are new to me, fairly bright, lively but not very keen on drama. I need to think of some activities that I can adapt to the play we are studying (Othello) that will keep them on their toes - some kinaesthetic learning is definitely required. I have a few ideas but am flagging on this one and would really appreciate a few more. Does anyone have any really good activities they could suggest?

Many thanks, F.

2. I'm doing Shakespeare with a group of year nines who are new to me, fairly bright, lively but not very keen on drama. I need to think of some activities that I can adapt to the play we are studying (Othello) that will keep them on their toes - some kinaesthetic learning is definitely required. I have a few ideas but am flagging on this one and would really appreciate a few more. Does anyone have any really good activities they could suggest?

Many thanks, F.

3. Joannanna

Joannanna New commenter

One thing I haven't done with mine this year, but a colleague did last year, was to get all the tables out the way and the students into pairs. She gave them Shakespearean insults to shout at each other which got them quite fired up. Gets them using the language quite happily too.

Could also look at Act 3 Scene 3 and get them to work in pairs reading Iago and Othello's lines and have some sort of balance of power thing - how would they perform it, how does it change the power? I did this with my year 13s this year and they are pretty like your year 9s - super-bright, some of them, very keen to have a chat (about anything, the least it has to do with the lesson's subject matter the better!) and yet were totally like 'ohhhh effort!!!' when I mentioned drama. They got really into it eventually and got a lot out of it, and our relationship changed from then on. I've actually refused to give into their 'oh Miss, do we have to?!' any more cause they've shown they can be enthusiastic.

4. Try these three..I used them last year after looking up some ideas when I was in the same position!
    • Use a prop such as a hankerchief and get them to produce a drama focused s and l activity on how a hanky could end up causing the deaths of several people. Have one with a strawberry on and see if they notice that it is different/mention it in their piece.
    • Give them a line each from the playand get them walking around the room to learn it off then say their line in different tones of voice (angry, whispered,upset etc.. to try and figure out meanings)..Also leads into iampic pentameter etc..
    • Produce a courtroom (judge Judy or maybe Jeremy Kyle style) and put Iago on trial.
    All three activities have produced great (and hillarious) lessons with lively kids.