1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Live Screening - Antony and Cleopatra

Discussion in 'Personal' started by minnie me, Dec 3, 2018.

1. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Anyone else going on Thursday ?

2. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

yes...am going with a friend to my local cinema...... :)
    Ralph Fiennes... what's not to like ?

;)

minnie me likes this.
  3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Are they both still alive?

4. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Poisonous asp joke?

nomad likes this.
  5. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Waiting on the reviews for Richard 11 with Simon Russell Beale but just can't see him as Richard to be honest . Know the play well - a favourite

6. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Planning to go. Living out in the wilds means a long journey by car to see quality drama/theatre. There is also a Simon Callow Dickens thing next week, which I may go for too.
    And I want to support our local independent cinema, which is run on a shoestring, so last night we went to see "Bohemian Rhapsody" which was great.

HelenREMfan likes this.
  7. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Thoughts on the production ? Enjoyed it - very very different to my experience of studying it at 18 - then far too young to appreciate it. I did not rate Ceasar though I think his reviews were good ? There were occasions when in my head Ralph Fiennes morphed into Reggie Perrin - probably just me - ha ! Powerful, energetic performances - Sophie Okewedo looked drained at the end. Yes - rather good ....

8. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

I hope you all enjoy - bit you know, once I reached the age of about 50 I realised I never had to read/watch or pretend to like Shakespeare ever again.

The realisation was liberating. I've never looked back.

9. HelenREMfan

Enjoyed it despite first 20 mins missing at our cinema..... was there any pre play chat/analysis or did the play start prompt at 7?
    Was worried in first half as I felt Fiennes hammed it up far too much so agree with your comment - he was better in the 2nd half. Sophie was excellent throughout and I felt acted him off the stage....well eclipsed him anyway.
    Was quite pleased to identify that Eros - Fisayo Akinade was in the excellent Cucumber.....
    The cinema gave us a free admission ticket to compensate for the hiccough at the beginning but alas I don't think it is showing Richard II in Jan.... I saw that at the Old Vic with Kevin Spacey and I am hard out to think of anyone else being able to better it.....

10. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

No started @ 7 .30 . Pre performance interviews and info about costumes - v interesting. Totally get why Spacey was ace as Richard but did not see it - huge lost opportunity . Did he do Richard 111 too ? .My definitive Richard was Ian Richardson but have also caught Jacobi, Tennant and Wishaw ( The Hollow Crown ) in the role. Really struggling with casting of Simon Russell Beale but shall wait for the reviews....

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  11. HelenREMfan

No...alas didn't get to see his Richard iii but did see Robert Lyndsay (Lindsay) (Citizen Smith) in the role many years ago...... he was better than expected.

So looks like we missed the performance interviews and some of the first act....we saw a short film on the wardrobe/costumes in the half time interval.

12. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Ah - costumes made to measure and all that ... saw Antony Sher as Richard 111 - awesome...., One thing that struck me about that production last night was the pronunciation of ‘Antony ‘ often with a th - think Caesar - and then with just a t - perhaps to distinguish the Roman / Egyptian worlds ??

13. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Really liked it - the contrast between Roman and Egyptian was effective. I especially liked Octavia, who is normally rather over-looked and the relationship between A & C seemed convincing to me. interesting to see the protagonists sort of via their servants, too. Great set.
    I did see the Spacey Richard 2, and liked it, though the bit with the Duke of York was ill-judged. Simon R-B seems a bit old for Richard 2, but years ago he was the Definitive Richard 3, and he can do no wrong as far as acting goes. Wonderful actor.
    Simon Callow's Dickens thing next week. Anyone going to that?