1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Little to no progress in reading... please help!

Discussion in 'English' started by sampsr, Nov 19, 2015.

1. sampsr

sampsr New commenter

What do you do when a few children in a particular cohort are not making any progress in their reading ability? The scheme we follow is quite new, implementation support has been poor and direction is minimal, although the scheme is very structured (SfA). One child in particular has low GCA but no support in mainstream.

What tools can I use to do a diagnostic assessment of what this child is missing / what this child needs to make progress?

How can I insert interventions for this child and others like them when the timetable is so tightly compacted with maths, foundation subjects, other interventions such as ELSA, CatchUp, Nippers, etc etc etc...?

Please, if you have any advice, experience or a way out of this, let me know. I really would appreciate it.

Many thanks for taking the time to read about my dilemma.

2. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

I'm note sure what age range you're talking about nor what those acronyms mean, but how do you know they are not making progress without an assessment? If it is a general assessment that is not giving enough detail, is there a budget to buy in something that will? Or you are looking for something completely free?
    What support is available to you in terms of classroom assistant etc.? Are you the main teacher?
    A more detailed picture may yield some ideas...
    Sorry you feel so unsupported and pressured!