1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Little things that annoy you and should not but just do

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dumpty, Dec 10, 2019.

1. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I have now found out I cannot - just cannot - sleep on a bare mattress. If it ain't got a sheet on it, I am outta there.

What say ye?

2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Susan Calman.

Jesmond12, Grandsire and dumpty like this.
  3. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

If you were tired enough I bet you could.

dumpty likes this.
  4. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

I’m your classic picture straightener I’m afraid. I know things being slightly off centre shouldn’t matter, and doesn’t matter but I can’t help myself.

5. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Damn - have just moved into a new apartment and now you have me doing that.....

Marshall and Jamvic like this.
  6. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Sorry :p

dumpty likes this.
  7. Incommunicado

Incommunicado Established commenter

I was brainwashed as a young (male)
    child into walking nearer to the road if on a pavement with a woman (to protect her from splashes, etc!).

To this day I feel totally uncomfortable about walking "on the inside", I just HAVE to get to the outside.

strawbs, blazer, giotto and 6 others like this.
  8. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

You too. Its not just me.

smoothnewt, Jamvic and dumpty like this.
  9. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Cupboard doors left open drive me mad.

Thinking about my little quirks, I've come to the conclusion that I have ocd. Seriously!

10. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

All doors being left open drive me mad. :mad:However, living with three males who, if I hadn’t been there for the birth of two of them, I would say were all born in fields I’ve just had to get used to it.

11. lucyrose50

lucyrose50 Occasional commenter

One of my former colleagues liked to do displays, and would often take down a corridor display and put up a new one. It was a lovely thing to do, but every single thing on it would be slightly wonky - not so much that it looked intentional, but just enough to pain me every time I walked past.
    I know my limitations - when I do displays, I deliberately put everything at an angle because I know I'd never get it all to line up unless I spent hours with a tape measure!

12. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

One that used to get me big time was when at a checkout the person in front of me would wait until all their goods were swiped and packed and only then hunt for the money to pay.

Why not get the cash or card ready as it is all being swiped? (I would be close to killing when some said 'Oh, I did not know it would all cost so much, I only have a fifty note' and so begin the process of deciding what goods they would return...)

Self check outs are the bees knees and Aldi's 'we will force you to stand aside' mini check outs great, too.

CWadd, nomad, sunshineneeded and 2 others like this.
  13. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Self check outs are abomination for anything more than a sandwich and a soft drink.

14. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Perhaps "annoy" is the wrong word for this, but I am currently spear heading a prominent campaign in my real name to amend the law and accrue directed funding so that we can finally police the rail network efficiently enough to effect the proper arrest and detention for people who eat crisps on trains. This must not go on.
    P.M. me if you wish to sign up.
    Yours
    Ms. O. Phonia

sabrinakat, colpee, Marshall and 2 others like this.
  15. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Seats out in classrooms.

needabreak, Jamvic and lrw22 like this.
  16. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

People getting married who think that the shape of their balloons and the shade of the seat bows is the important thing.

17. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

:eek: I would have to find a route around school that didn’t pass the display.

Totally agree. I also feel uneasy that I may be denying someone a job or much needed extra hours work by choosing to use them. My OH says this is crazy but I’m not so sure. Checkout work is traditionally a convenient part time job for women with small kids whose families benefit greatly from that extra wage.

bajan, Laphroig, Dodros and 1 other person like this.
  18. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Established commenter

Because that is when you are desperately trying to load your shopping into the bags in some kind of logical order without squashing the delicate things under the heavy things while trying to keep up with the checkout person?

needabreak, Jamvic and mothorchid like this.
  19. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Nah, that might be acceptable for your single person buyer who gets to an empty line just before you but often there is more than enough time to place your guff on the belt while the customer(s) in front are being served - leaving ample time to find your card or cash while waiting your turn.

Should be made a criminal offence :p

smoothnewt likes this.
  20. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Oh yes! The spirit level is my friend!

Trekkie and Jamvic like this.