1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

little spats and battles royal

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nizebaby, Apr 19, 2019.

1. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

The other day I called someone I really like and admire on here a prig. I regret having done so (sorry, nelly) but I don't want to go down the self-flagellation route so beloved of social media. These little spats were fun back in the day when you didn't have to watch yout back so much.

Major rucks? We had such fun on the Early Years forum when we argued about how best to educate our little ones. Feathers frequently flew, but it was all good fun and, more importantly, a proper contribution to the never-ending debate about education.

2. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

whoops - meant to post this om Personal. Sorry.

3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Ooh do you think so. I'm not too good at having arguments. I have posted sharp tongued posts on occasion but I have to admit I don't like being criticised and don't engage with posters who have had a go in the past. Mind you, commenting on what I've cooked for dinner or planted in my garden doesn't often invite criticism. Having met some posters cuts down the inclination to barrel in with cutting comments I find and although I have enjoyed meeting people, I think the meets have created a rather anodyne forum.

4. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I only argue if I am enjoying it and think the other person is enjoying it

5. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I don't mind a well-argued discussion, but I find actual aggresive arguments a little unnecessary.
    At times I have posted what I have considered to be relatively inoffensive comments and received responses which have been personally insulting and upsetting. Sometimes I call the poster out, sometimes I just retire and feel distressed.
    If I wouldn't say it to someone's face, I'm not going to type it on here. Some posters appear not to have that sort of filter.
    I will now retire and await insulting responses...;)

6. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Occasional commenter

Hey yeah. you was unnecessary. I was only correcting poor punctuation.
    And pointing out the relationship between Gothic architecture and the vast infinite glory of the Catholic vision of the eternal mysteries of the spiritual universe juxtaposed with the lamentations on the loss of historic fabric, art, treasure and cultural significance…... Just the normal stuff of conversation on here.
    Actually I felt sad because I thought it was rooted in prejudice about Catholicism.
    When you tell people you are Catholic you feel a little edge of distance creep into a relationship. Which I understand because often if I find out that people believe in God, especially in an enthusiastic way, I step back from them too. When I don't tell people I am Catholic I get to hear what they think of Catholics and I have learned to just let it go.
    But anyway.
    I find if I just 'like' negative comments it resolves any upset on my part.

Alice K, nizebaby and dunnocks like this.
  7. mothorchid

@Nellyfuf2 I am confused. I don't think you have been rude to me on here, have you? I don't remember commenting on Notre Dame, apart from in those first moments when the fire started.
    Have you muddled me up with someone else? Are you responding to @nizebaby?

8. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

You should try reading our local FB page! Such vitriol, such unpleasantness and complete with a photo in the local paper along the lines of a Daily Fail sad face photo.

I don’t mind a good debate, but I do object to deliberate unpleasantness and it does and has happened on here from some posters.

sparklepig2002 and mothorchid like this.
  9. towncryer

towncryer Senior commenter

I am finding that most threads these days seem to descend into unpleasantness and arguments among some. Sometimes there is an argument going on between 2 posters only while the rest skirt around it trying to respond to the original post,I don't know if people are genuinely unhappy and need an outlet and this is it ,but I think it's a shame that so many spawn arguments...often with the least of provocation.

10. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I often only post in the early stages of a thread before it descends into two posters batting insults.

colpee, towncryer, knitone and 2 others like this.
  11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

12. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Yes. If, by the time I see a thread with an interesting looking title, it's already many pages long, I don't bother.

colpee, towncryer and InkyP like this.
  13. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Occasional commenter

Oh sos mothorchid I was replying to Nizebaby. She called me a prig but I didn't mind. I do try not to upset people. Don't be upset.
    it is annoying if an interesting discussion becomes a point scoring argument between a few people. But sometimes it is funny.

mothorchid likes this.
  14. mothorchid

I wasn't upset, @Nellyfuf2, just puzzled.:)
    I agree with you - several potentially interesting threads recently have become adolescent retorts and point-scoring of little or no interest to anyone. Or benefit.
    It seems a shame.

InkyP and colpee like this.