1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Little noises in the loft.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lindenlea, Oct 23, 2011.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Thought there was a big moth fluttering on the top of the wardrobe but there was nothing there and had to conclude the little noises were coming from the loft. OH investigated today thinking it could have been water but it's dry. No sign of any nest making or droppings or any disturbance to the insulation material. Cavities have insulation in, sofits (I think that's right) are plastic, new and seem completely sound. There's a fan on the bathroom wall that has a ventilator on the outside wall - could a little bird or bat have got in there? If it comes back tonight there'll be a mousetrap up there tomorrow. Any ideas!

2. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter

I 'spect it was a mouse that coughed!

3. A bat can tuck itself into a partly opened match box ( those small ones) - So any gaps that size could let one in.(they are protected - don't hurt them!)
    A crow running around on the <u>outside</u> of a roof can make a surprising amount of noise.

4. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

the sock monster

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Bird on the roof?

If mice, I recommend a Little Nipper trap placed close to a wall or joist with a piece of Kit Kat as bait. Mice tend to run alongside vertical surfaces. If you have a boxed in waste pipe that goes down one corner of the house with its vent going up and out to the roof, the little b*ggers sometimes find their way up and down the boxing and into the attic. Mice can also climb brickwork with little difficulty. We had an infestation in our attic once, but after seven loud nocturnal snaps of the Little Nipper it was game over.

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

Have you seen 'Gaslight'?

7. I'd reckon little birds -we had a few which got in through a tiny gap in the roof, then made a right racket trying to get out again. Once the hole in roof was fixed we didn't have any more visitors.

8. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Mmm, I'll let you know how we get on.

9. lrw22

lrw22 Senior commenter

I had squirrels in the loft once but they made quite a big noise.

10. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

squirrels on the roof make quite a bit of noise - we had one which had run away from a cat and took ages to work out a safe way down.

11. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

i wish the cats would earn their living around here and catch the dam squirrels which raid my garden

12. ditwee

ditwee New commenter

Possibly birds. They make a huge racket in my roof, just sitting on it and trying to nestbuild in it and using it to open and eat peanuts. Mice are much quieter and don't confine themselves to a roofspace - they'll be everywhere.

13. Squirrels don't just live in the loft, they party!
    Rats scuttle softly.

14. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

That's what I'm frightened of - been there before, although not in the loft.
    All quiet on the western front last night.

15. Captain Howdy.

16. inky

inky Lead commenter

You only really need to worry when you find out that you're the only person who can hear them...

17. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Well, thanks a lot for that!

18. Have you seen the film 'The Grudge' ;) he he he