1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Little Britain

Discussion in 'Geography' started by freckle06, Feb 24, 2012.

1. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

What year group and do you know them?

2. Hi, it's yr8 mixed ability, never met them before, thanks

3. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

Can I suggest as it's a humanities job, that you check exactly what they mean by humanities - I would assume Geog, Hist and RE. If that is the case then I would be inclined to deliver a lesson that does that, rather than citizenship (unless of course they are including citizenship). As it is Little Britain - it may be worth trying to make the lesson specific to wherever you are in the country - what human and physical geography is there? Are there any significant religious or historical monuments worth noting nearby? If you could get a look from the classroom window you might be able to do a very specific Little Britain from our window... (my colleague who faces a different direction to me has the local church and a castle, as well as nearby housing estate)
    Card sorts are always good for an interview, in my experience as are games. Could you have different groups - religious, historical, geographical on a local and national scale and get students to sort them. They could record their findings in a table - historical etc down the side, national, local etc across the top, and do something about how their area is a Little Britian but you've covered all the humanities bases.
    This may be no use at all, but I hope offers some help from someone who taught humanities and was observed by Ofsted doing it in an ICT suite of all places! (V scary!) It's up to you whether you want to take a risk or play it safe, but make sure you're doing something that shows you at your best as a good teacher who knows their stuff and can engage the students.
    Good luck

4. Thanks for getting back with sduch a detailed response, just wanted you to know I was offered the job!!!
    Many Thanks

5. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

Well done, that is good news - got a new post myself on Friday - am now the Primary Liaison person for my school, which is a new direction as got bored with paper pushing of middle management. Think this is the 3rd post in a row where I've been the only applicant - start to worry if I don't get it!
    Best wishes