1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Litter homework- can anyone help me out please? (for tomorrow)

Discussion in 'Primary' started by bex2606, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Could they not just make a tally chart and then a bar graph of the kinds of rubbish thrown away.
    You could either have it based on the materials e.g. paper, glass, metal etc or a tally of rubbish that is put in the bin and what is put into the recycling/compost.
    I teach KS1 though so maybe thats too simple. I cant think how else to record it.

2. That's along the lines of what I was thinking. I'm just nervous and don't want to write the 'wrong' thing. I know it's not hard but I want to make sure it looks good and is an effective piece of homework. I'm probably thinking about it too much as usual. I'm going to give it a go but if anyone's willing to write me a heading, instructions and make a quick tally chart honestly it would mean so much. I know that sounds ridiculous but I am nervous about setting homework and want to impress the parents! I've never written a piece of homework before so if anyone can do a quick tally etc for me, I'd appreciate it.

3. Decided to change my focus. I've decided not to ask them about the litter they throw away and instead focus on the things which could be recycled from their rubbish. Would I just ask them to write about things they could recycle? I don't really see the value in them counting anything or doing a tally. I may have a quick look online and see if I can find an example of a similar piece of work but at the same time I'm not keen to waste time looking.

4. Why not set them some research- give them a material and ask them to find out about a new product that can be made from this material and how it is changed to become the new product.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Tell them you want them to be creative and present in it any way they wish. Just tell them that they have to show you how much rubbish their family produces.

Say they can use a computer, make a model, draw a table or graph, write a story, whatever they think is best.

One, it ticks boxes about allowing children to make choices and take responsibility for learning. Two, it means you don't have to think of a way of presenting the work. Three, it means that looking at their HW is exciting and interesting.

Sorted!

6. I have done a similar thing before. Gave the children a project to find out how much rubbish they threw away could be recycled. They have a homework book but were allowed to present their work anyway they wanted. Poster, powerpoint, leaflet and models. They loved the challenge and project. We sell it to them as project work (they think it is different from homework). They photographed the rubbish, also some started tallying rubbish and some put it in graphs. I gave the children some ideas but different abilities will produce different work. It was a new concept to me but it really works. Give the children an objective and they can show you the outcome in whatever form they want.