1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Litter and recycling in science

Discussion in 'Science' started by phlogiston, Apr 20, 2011.

1. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Do the various official bodies taking responsibility want litter and recycling to be on the curriculum? They haven't explicitly said it should be, but I would struggle to relate it to old KS3 / GCSE exam questions or to APP.
    Do I think that it should be included - yes as part of encouraging responsible use of materials, and avoiding waste. However, with the removal of lifecycle assessments from 21st century GCSE, less official encouragement.
    Best wishes,
    P
    Victor Canning, the novelist and WW2 army officer said that patriots didn't drop litter.

2. The OP does not say which year group or Key Stage has litter & recycling on its SOW. If primary, then I imagine it could be included in science as part of biology for composting & decomposing, Physics as part of topics such as: 'what happens if you ride your bike over a broken bottle?'.
    In th secondary curriculum, recycling can be (sort of) in a SOW through either energy resources or the materials sections of the syllabus - but you would probably need a specific link in a syllabus to justify spending lesson time on it! In our school, it would probably be included as a PHSE activity or the greenbeans in the 'green group' would have a schhol policy & an assembly on it.