1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Litercy one-to-one tuition

Discussion in 'English' started by GloriaSunshine, Apr 1, 2011.

1. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

To be honest, I think schools see it as yet another initiative to be launched, happen and die. We've had so many. I'm not sure that teachrs feel strongly enough about it to contact union reps. Or maybe that's just in our school?

2. Most teachers don't feel very strongly about 1 in 5 children never learning to read very well.
    Otherwise they would all be campaigning for improvements to the spellings which make learning to read English exceptionally difficult and necessitate far more one-to-one help with reading than in other languages, e.g. said, friend, one, once, only, to.... For all of them see <font color="#f37255">englishspellingproblems.co.uk/html/sight_words.html</font>
    They value the preservation of historical nonsense far more highly than raising educational attainment, and in the current economic climate they are far more worried about keeping their own jobs than u losing yours.

3. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

The 1:1 tuition scheme has a wider remit than just reading and spelling. We didn't choose SEN students who have support from the SEN department; we chose students who can write accurate sentences and read with understanding but don't do anything beyond that. The teacher who works with them brings her own materials but has been asked to focus on explaining ideas/supporting with quotations/identifying and commenting on language features and varying sentence structure in writing. We already do something similar with small groups being withdrawn from MFL to work with a TA.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Masha you continually pop up with your ridiculous comments! Of course teachers care about children who struggle to learn. What we don't care about is your silly self promotion.

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

hhhh to be honest I agree with gloria in my school we will continue giving additional 1-1 support (without pay) before or after school to those children as we did before the initiative