1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Literature on children's perceptions of health and wellbeing

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by clogmeisje, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Hi, I am studying children's perceptions of health and wellbeing, can anyone point me in the right direction for some literature on this topic.
    Thanks

2. Hi, I am studying children's perceptions of health and wellbeing, can anyone point me in the right direction for some literature on this topic.
    Thanks

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

What age groups are you considering? I'm afraid I can't point you towards any books or papers but, thinking back to when I was 7 [nearly 50 yrs ago [​IMG] ] I think it was very basic:

eat your greens
    eat apples
    have enough sleep
    brush your teeth
    wash your hands

Actually, unless I was ill I didn't give it much thought. Ill health around me [children in calipers, elderly relations' failing health etc] was something taken for granted, though I did feel sympathy.
    There were a few children at my primary school who looked grubby and malnourished. Some were my mates but, to be horribly honest, you tended to give smelly children a wide berth.
    Obesity amongst children was Billy Bunter to me, I'm afraid, since I rarely saw it in real life. Asthma I only heard about when a friend, a farmer's son, had to go to boarding school because his own home made him ill. I felt terrribly sorry for him.
    My favourite comic, Judy, had its share of plucky 'crippled' or blind heroines who overcame their disability/cruel guardians/and uncomprehending world to achieve success and independence. We all found these tales uplifting - especially the ones with cruel guardians, of course.

These stray thoughts are of someone from a different generation and probably less than useless to you. But it's interesting to compare 50 years ago to today. I suspect that today's children are still not inclined to give the matter much thought until faced with something going wrong.

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

Perhaps I should admit that my brother and I had a wonderful collection of disguarded cigarette packets. Lucky Strike was a Big Find. And I ate far more boiled sweets than were good for me.
    We got more excercise, perhaps. Despite living in the era of the Moors and Cannock Chase murders, we were allowed out to play.

5. Thanks Inky, sounds pretty much like my childhood perceptions too.
    The age is foundation stage.
    Any more ideas are welcome.
    Thanks[​IMG]

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

I'm sorry I couldn't direct you to some learned journal. Presumably as part of your study you'll be interviewing people, so I hope my stray thoughts will be of some use.

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

At 3/4/5? I dont think I gave health and well-being a moment's notice, thought I remember itching with chicken pox!

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

Dr Johnson said that you should reread anything you'd written and, on finding anything you thought particularly good, strike it out. Much as I agree with him, I'm loath to let this thread go [​IMG]

9. Not forgetting, of course, scarlet fever or scarletina, people affected by polio, then there were the thalidomide kids.
    Now we all worry about allergies of all sorts.
    But when I was young (also in the 1950s inky) i mver heard of juvenile cancer sufferers. But one 10 year old I used to teach in R is about to face this.

As to kids' perceptions of illness I suggest OP contacts the local children's hospital. I reckon they would be able to point you in the right direction.

10. Sorry - wrong end of the stick ...'health and well being'.....
    Hmmm. Still wonder if child health nurse/children's hospital (hospital school) might help.

11. inky

inky Lead commenter

I maintain that the best situation is one in which the children don't even have to give it a thought. Given the amount of junk food and the lack of exercise on offer, I accept the sad fact that that's a no-no.