1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Literature for A2 Cultural topics

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by aracena, May 6, 2012.

1. aracena

aracena New commenter

Hi
    I'm after some general advice about doing Literature at AQA A2 in any language and some specific advice for Spanish about what students get on best with.
    We currently do a director ( Del Toro) and a region (Andalucía) as I had always thought doing a novel / play would be a big struggle for many of our students. However, although they cope ok with the film the students (and I) are increasingly finding the region hard-going because of the sheer amount of stuff they need to know to be able to cope with pretty specific questions combined with only 3 teaching hours a week (for a group of 11 this year).
    So...I'm thinking of changing topics next year and having a go with something else. I'd thought perhaps a play might be easiest because they tend to be shorter than novels and although we'd have to deal with stagecraft etc I've found when teaching A level English Literature that students tend to respond pretty well to drama on the whole. I was wondering what other people's experiences of teaching drama have been? Or would a (shortish) novel be easier...?
    I was thinking perhaps of doing Las Bicicletas son para el verano or a Lorca play - Yerma o Bodas de Sangre? Has anyone had any experiences of teaching any of these? How have students managed? I tend to have very mixed ability groups although next year's A2 will be very weak without exception...!
    I'd be very interested to hear anyone's experiences.
    Aracena

2. aracena

aracena New commenter

Hi
    I'm after some general advice about doing Literature at AQA A2 in any language and some specific advice for Spanish about what students get on best with.
    We currently do a director ( Del Toro) and a region (Andalucía) as I had always thought doing a novel / play would be a big struggle for many of our students. However, although they cope ok with the film the students (and I) are increasingly finding the region hard-going because of the sheer amount of stuff they need to know to be able to cope with pretty specific questions combined with only 3 teaching hours a week (for a group of 11 this year).
    So...I'm thinking of changing topics next year and having a go with something else. I'd thought perhaps a play might be easiest because they tend to be shorter than novels and although we'd have to deal with stagecraft etc I've found when teaching A level English Literature that students tend to respond pretty well to drama on the whole. I was wondering what other people's experiences of teaching drama have been? Or would a (shortish) novel be easier...?
    I was thinking perhaps of doing Las Bicicletas son para el verano or a Lorca play - Yerma o Bodas de Sangre? Has anyone had any experiences of teaching any of these? How have students managed? I tend to have very mixed ability groups although next year's A2 will be very weak without exception...!
    I'd be very interested to hear anyone's experiences.
    Aracena

3. I agree about Lorca. I have taught La Casa de Bernada Alba a couple of times. It seems to really capture the imagination and outrage of teenage girls. I think the concept of being locked up in a house of women with raging hormones is so horrific. Also the life of Garcia Lorca can be linked to so many social issues, including gay rights and the civil war.
    Obviously if you have a male dominated class it may not be such a good choice.

4. musiclover1

musiclover1 New commenter

I think it's a good idea to look at your group before choosing a topic. If it's a weak group, then you need something straightforward.
    I've had good experiences with teaching literature, and would always try to go for a book that has been made into a film, that way those that don't get on well with large chunks of reading can still get to grips with the storyline.
    I think a drama sounds like a good idea and if you have experience with teaching English literature then you'll do well and your enthusiasm will influence your pupils.