1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Literally shouted at the radio

Discussion in 'Education news' started by moscowbore, Feb 26, 2016.

1. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

Wilshaw on Radio 4 on the way to work.
    He is worried about the number of English trained teachers going abroad. His solution? Contractually oblige all trained teachers to stay in England for a number of years.

He refused to answer the interviewer on the reasons why teachers choose to leave England.
    The interviewer yet again made the assumption that it was all about money. No mention of how OFSTED have made teaching a terrible job.

Must admit, the smugness of Wilshaw's tone irritated me immensely.

Put Wilshaw in front of a teacher and film it. Please, someone, make this happen.

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Like to know how his idea to make teachers into serfs would sit with the Human Rights Act!

'Coming to a cinema near you: '12 Years a Teacher' (with no right to leave).....!

delnon likes this.
  3. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

He's on Breakfast TV right now. He just doesn't get it, not at all :mad::(

delnon likes this.
  4. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

He's a muppet. Doesn't have a clue.:mad:

delnon likes this.
  5. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Well done to Bill on BBC Breakfast for raising issues such as ridiculous year 6 assessment, students being treated as bits of data tracking as reasons for low morale. Not that there was a sensible response :(

delnon likes this.
  6. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

Why would he have a sensible response? There isn't a sensible response cos it's true and needs changing. :mad:

delnon likes this.
  7. FrankWolley

R5Live will debate Wilshaw's comments and the state of teaching at 09.00 today.

8. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Exactly!

delnon likes this.
  9. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Thanks for flagging that up Frank :)

10. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

Well it appears that Mr Wilshaw has certainly been doing the rounds today. Smugly refusing to answer any suggestion that overwork due to ridiculous/pointless OFSTED requirements is the main reason for teachers flocking abroad. A part of me feels that he is sowing the seeds of his own destruction. His delusion that OFSTED is only a force for good in the face of the facts is quickly making the government look foolish which is the only reason that OFSTED will ever be reformed or got rid of.

Time for me to go back to hibernation.

schoolsout4summer likes this.
  11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I sat in the car park at work listening to him on R4 this morning. This is the response I sent into R4 as soon as I got into school. I doubt it made it to air.

I sat in my car on the school car park listening to Michael Wilshaw on your programme at 6.55am. Luckily I wasn't driving! You would have thought that someone in his position would have had the honesty to admit why we have a teacher shortage in this country. I have been a teacher for 26 years after an earlier career in engineering. I shall be taking early retirement this year mainly because of the efforts of Mr Wilshaw and his organisation. The reason we have a shortage of teachers is because they are being driven out of the profession by the constant pressure and ever changing goalposts that result from the predations of OFSTED and the denigration of teachers by the likes of Michael Gove and Nicky Morgan. What Mr Wilshaw failed to mention was that there is, in fact, no shortage of trained teachers in this country. There are in fact hundreds of thousands of trained teachers who no longer wish to work in the toxic environment of the schools that he has created. As for teachers having a debt to pay. Does he not now realise that students who train actually pay tuition fees and that a teacher who has gone through University and then a PGCE will have many thousands of pounds of debt. Why shouldn't they take their qualifications to the employer who will give them the biggest benefit? I doubt that Mr Wilshaw would reject the treatment of a doctor who has trained abroad but decide to work our NHS on the grounds that the doctor should have stayed in his own country.

cissy3, RedQuilt, rosievoice and 3 others like this.
  12. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

FWIW, Under Wilshaw, Ofsted have reduced their requirements and have put out explicit guidance, including videos, stating they do not want to see 'triple marking', written lesson plans and the like.

While old Ofsted did cause the problems, the workload inflicted on teachers is no longer coming from them, it's coming from SLT who don't do their jobs properly and perpetuate what really are now "Ofsted myths".

Ofsted could do more about this, of course, and I do feel Wilshaw is to blame in this regard. Ofsted could choose to comment adversely on marking policies (etc.) that overburden staff and are certain to lead to high staff turnover.

It isn't enough that they no longer demand this rubbish, nor even that they say out loud that they no longer demand it.

They need to start penalising Headteachers who haven't got the message.

cissy3 and watermelongirl65 like this.
  13. watermelongirl65

watermelongirl65 New commenter

Ofsted does need to do more. Whilst O has stated that they do not want to see triple marking etc. They will "penalise" a teacher who is not following the school's own marking policy, which may or may not include triple marking.

cissy3 likes this.
  14. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I couldn't agree more.

delnon likes this.
  15. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

For clarity's sake the August 2015 version of the School Inspection Handbook (updated Jan 2016) says this about marking, which I think you will agree is rather woolly. Whilst Ofsted don't condone 'triple marking', that is what they will expect to see if it is enshrined in a school's marking policy.

* Ofsted recognises that marking and feedback to pupils, both written and oral, are important aspects of assessment. However, Ofsted does not expect to see any specific frequency, type or volume of marking and feedback; these are for the school to decide through its assessment policy. Marking and feedback should be consistent with that policy, which may cater for different subjects and different age groups of pupils in different ways, in order to be effective and efficient in promoting learning.

* While inspectors will consider how written and oral feedback is used to promote learning, Ofsted does not expect to see any written record of oral feedback provided to pupils by teachers.

So many, many schools have unmanageable marking policies because head teachers live in fear of losing their careers. It would appear, that what Ofsted say they want to see is very different to what they actually want to see.

From an inspection report published September 2015 (edited to avoid identification of the school):

What does the school need to do to improve further?

Improve the quality of teaching so that it is consistently at least good by ensuring that:

teachers’ marking of pupils’ work consistently gives pupils helpful guidance on how to improve their work.

Jamietzu likes this.
  16. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

It is worth less than nothing.

They have been wrong on observations (as shown by evidence and research) and have helped destroy careers by using them incorrectly and have led the way for schools to do much, much worse on a similar basis.

They have been wrong on data for years and have caused massive amounts of problems for schools and teachers as a result

According to Professor Robert Coe and many others who have studied their use of observations and data in detail, they are part of the problem.

There is so much confusion, and so much bad history, that a fresh, evidence-based process of observation and evaluation of our education system is needed as soon as possible, using the best of current research to inform practice. Ofsted are clearly not the body to be trusted to do that. They are done.

17. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

what a shame that they held all these debates during the first week back at school after half term rather than during a week when more teachers could have responded. Of course, If I were suspicious I would suspect the politicians of arranging the date to prevent teachers responding as much as possible.

18. Maths_Shed

Maths_Shed Occasional commenter

I do wish that Question Time would do a series of 'specials'. A whole episode dedicated to education with a panel of Wilshaw, Morgan, Powell and a couple of others might bring this issue to wider coverage. The public need a fuller understanding of what is happening.

cissy3 likes this.
  19. FrankWolley

Trouble is they'd just lie.

20. blazer

blazer Star commenter

But if the audience were 100% teaching professionals?

cissy3 likes this.