1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Literacyt observation - advice needed!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by clairelove, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Hi

I am getting very stressed about a literacy lesson observation I have next week. It has to be focused on writing but we have just finished our current unit (imaginary settings) and should be starting a new one - so not much writing. Our topic is Space so was thinking of doing a couple of lessons revising newspaper reports and then getting them to write a newspaper report of the first moon landing. Not too sure though how to differentiate it? Or a diary entry? Really need some help!!

2. Hi

I am getting very stressed about a literacy lesson observation I have next week. It has to be focused on writing but we have just finished our current unit (imaginary settings) and should be starting a new one - so not much writing. Our topic is Space so was thinking of doing a couple of lessons revising newspaper reports and then getting them to write a newspaper report of the first moon landing. Not too sure though how to differentiate it? Or a diary entry? Really need some help!!

3. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I would go for diary or letter as Newspaper reports need so much more in them, whereas the children are probably more familiar with the format of diary of letter writing so can focus on the content. You could provide a writing frame and some sentence starters/key words for your LA, MA & HA will depend on your year & objectives really.

4. Thanks for advice - I'm not too keen on newspaper reports really as they require quite a strict structure and I teach a low ability year 4 class. Trouble is last time we were inspected I was doing a diary and I got slated because the inspector thought diaries should be a personal thing and that I was trying to structure it too much?

Like the idea of a letter but not too sure how I could write a letter about the moon landing?

Beginning to think it might be better to do something totally fictional? Spacxe poems? Or is that a total cop out??? So worried about it!!

5. If you going down the fictional route, perhaps you could ask the children to write a letter to parents, saying that people from outer space are coming to visit and they are looking for families to host them! Chn can be imaginative about describing the visitors and their needs. Letter structure remains intact and they can demonstrate all their VCOP knowledge too. You could start it by 'reading' (and hence modelling a letter) a letter from these space visitors asking permission to visit and for host families to look after them perhaps??? It's an 'off the top of my head' thought, so apologies if it's rubbish. All the best with your observation.

6. You could use some scaffolded writing frames as differentiation. Look at the framework/strategy progression documents to help you ensure it is including correct Year 4 content. Try to write your shared writing part before the lesson so you know what you want to include as your teaching points. Hope that helps! Good luck x

7. Thanks - but not sure diaries or letters comes into year 4 (although recounts do). Maybe I should stick with newspaper article - really struggling as to which text type. Advice really appreciated!

8. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Which unit are you supposed to be starting? I think you should start off with that and put some writing in - that way you're not doing something you wouldn't normally do - the result of which probably wouldn't be as good as it could be anyway!
    :)

9. Meant to be starting info texts. We have only really covered the moon landing and some basic info on the planets for our space topic at the moment though so don't know how we would write an info text??

10. pisces77

pisces77 New commenter

Just an off the top of my head idea but couldn't you do a simple recount of the first moon landing with a writing frame.

11. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Maybe for that particular lesson you could look at Did you know? text boxes or something like that i.e. a small part of a non-fiction text.
    Look at a few with the chn and write a list of steps to success together before writing their own - they might base it on themselves or their partner perhaps?
    What do you think?

12. Zoot

Zoot New commenter

I never stop being amazed by the number of people on this forum who are told they are being observed for literacy and the focus will be writing - without any prior consultation by the head teacher or other observer about where the class teacher will be in terms of delivering a unit. This is so unfair!!
    How can you suddenly expect the class to produce writing that includes all the expected features when you will be teaching phase 1? This should be all about strand 7 and strand 8 - analysing the text and engaging and responding to text by focusing on reading and unpicking the text or possibly using drama - not strands 9,10 and 11- these come much later in every unit.

13. Could you start with "Man on the Moon"? It's a brilliant story and could lead into a newspaper or diary about what happened in the story.