1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Literacy

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Stressball, Jun 30, 2011.

1. I'm putting together a literacy newsletter with advice for parents on how to help with literacy at home. Does anyone have any ideas?

2. gruoch

gruoch New commenter

Don't let masha see this post.
    Your newsletter can be one sentence long. Get them reading - anything. Sauce bottles and cereal packets will do fine.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It would help if you said what ideas you've already had, so that people could simply add anything else they'd thought of.

4. I always tell my parents to do lots of little things with their children - get the children to write lists, address envelopes. IF they want to watch TV they have to read the review of the programme first and write a paragraph about it, same with gaming. I think the things they can build into every day are best. I see I am REALLY late with this reply!!

5. minnie me

minnie me Lead commenter

Basic Skills website or National Literacy website may help ?

6. I wrote some help sheets for our website with ideas such as advice on paired reading for parents. We also have a literacy booklet for new parents which informs them about what strategies teachers might use with pupils so that they are able to help at home. I realise this is a rather late reply to this post and may well be totally out of date. I will put a version of our stuff on the TES just in case!