1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Literacy yr1- assessing against ELGs ?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rachel2832, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Hi I am an NQT starting with yr1- a lot
    Of these are still working towards the ELGs and I am wondering how you plan the learning objectives in this case? I am using national strategies but these obviously work towards NC levels- do I just try to link in the early learning goals from CLL in the EYFS? I hope this makes sense!

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'm not sure about this either, moving to yr 1 for the first time, I'm hoping to have a chat with FS teachers later this week in school. I keep hearing that children won't be ready for the NC yet and so on and so on.

But then I look at what I used last year to plan for maths and English and cannot for the life of me see that 5 year olds won't be ready to start working on level 1. Not ready to count to 10 or 20? Not ready to carry on patterns such as red blue red blue red...? Not ready to express their views on a book they have just shared? Not ready to begin to learn to write letters clearly? Not ready to start to learn to write sentences? Seriously?

I totally think that the way of learning should be play based and independent to a large extent. But my adult led groups can surely make a start on the NC levels can't they?

Sorry not being any help at all, just sharing your confusion. Clever/experienced people will come along soon and be more useful that me.

3. Same sitiuation. I'm just going to clarify with our HT first thing. I know it's a gradual thing going from EYFS profile to NC levels but still want to make sure I'm clear on what the school expects as it's important to have evidence for their progress.

4. In theory, I think if a ch scores 78+ in their eyfs then they are in theory 'ready' for the national curriculum! Will soon find out if that's true.......!

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I'm afraid a score of 78+ on the profile in no way guarentees that a child is ready for the national curriculum. You need to look at the idividual strands and see where the child has gaps. The advice from the QCA was
    Teachers in Y1 can continue to use the EYFS Profile as their assessment tool for children where
    they consider this to be appropriate. <u>This will be particularly the case for children who have not
    obtained any or most of the Early Learning Goals (ELG) &ndash; scale points 4-8 &ndash; in a particular
    EYFS Profile scale.
    </u>
    So if they haven't achieved all the ELGs in Reading or Calculation (for example) they are unlikely to be ready for NC levels.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Even the examples I've given above? Looking at APP grids for reading, maths and writing, surely only the children with very significant SEN are not ready to start learning those skills?

7. I use the ELG's for at least the first half term with my Year 1's, and normally up until Christmas for most of them. I normally aim for around children reaching 1c at Christmas, 1b at Easter, 1a at Summer (Ideally!!) Although some of the higher ability children may be ready for NC objectives alot sooner so I would just plan them in for them. Depends on your children really.
    So in literacy I would just plan objectives from the ELG's to fit in with our topic/whatever the activity is. Then at Christmas I'd start using the NC objectives. Our school doesn't follow the literacy units through Year 1 anyway, I have a list with all the literacy objectives on and I just make sure all these objectives are included somewhere when I've moved away from ELG's and Foundation setting. For numeracy we follow the units A1, B1 etc etc.
    Hope that makes sense and helps!

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter

A score of 78 across the 13 strands of the EYFS profile <u>could</u> indicate a child who can only count 3 objects accurately and is unable to read or write cvc words ... the overall score tells you nothing you need to look at the actual profile points achieved.
    The statement from the NAA
    "Point scores are levels of achievement and not the points in the profile, i.e. a score of 6 does not mean profile 6, it means point 3, plus 3 aspects achieved of sections 4-8. Children with the same points score will therefore probably have a different level of achievement."

9. I will be using NC objectives for literacy and maths as well as objectives from EYFS to cover those children who need it. I know there will be quite a few children who still need the repetition of EYFS as we have a lot of EAL children in school. If you look on http://www.communication4all.co.uk/http/Foundation.htm and scroll down page there is a sheet (3 pages) with all the objectives for CLL and PSRN so you can see different objectives at a glance.