1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Literacy Week - share your ideas!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by dav1970, Oct 19, 2011.

1. dav1970

dav1970 New commenter

Hi all
    I've done a little forum search on Literacy Week ideas and they don't seem to be responded too well for some reason.
    So, I thought I would try. During your school's literacy weeks, what activities worked? I've a few ideas myself and would love to share.
    Hope to see some response!
    Cheers
    David

2. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

Sounds to me like you want us to plan it for you. If you have ideas post them first, it's not like we have asked you for them.

3. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

Um, call it "Book Week", "Story Week" or "English Week".
    Sorry, I know that's not helpful. But I <u>hate</u> the word "literacy" (unless it's used in the pre-jargon sense of discussing a country's literacy rates ie what percentage of the population are functionally literate, and can read and write to a basic standard).

4. dav1970

dav1970 New commenter

Bloody hell! Thank God it's half term so that some people can chill out.
    You know, the amount of times I've offered help on these forums, then you get one who sounds like a complete sourpuss! Never mind.
    Okay, my ideas...
    Poetry pod
    Poetry 'rap off'
    Book fancy dress
    Mam and dad reading sessions
    KS2 read to KS1
    Spelling comps
    'Ink waster' comp - 5 minute team creative writing session
    I've loads, just wanted to see what others had.
    My word, I thought it was all about sharing resource and helping each other to make it a better profession rather than a bloody competition!
    As for changing it from 'literacy week' to some other bleedin't week, order from the top!
    Happy half term
    xxxxx

5. Make the theme the irregularities of English spelling.
    Get children to look at the inconsistent way English often uses letters.

6. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of drama/role-play. Great fun, children love it, no marking.

If I was a child and asked to do this I think I'd hate school.

7. Our English week was based on an idea I pinched from a website I found. It was about Flanimals. The whole school, from Foundation to year 6, made a clay 'flanimal' or strange creatures. These were displayed in the hall for all to see, then hidden around the school grounds. All the work was about these creatures; info how to look after them, poems, adventure stories, speech bubbles attached to models, newspaper reports.........
    Worked well.

8. dav1970

dav1970 New commenter

That's a great idea Misselle1! Not sure the head would be happy with everybody plastering clay everywhere however, it is a great idea. I could do the same thing simply using drawing perhaps?

9. A book trail: Around the school set up displays, each display to represent a book. The display has things that are relevant to the book. artefacts, images, maps, costumes, food - whatever is connected with the text. Then children try to decide which book the display is depicting or if an unfamiliar book to them, hopefully the display will inspire them to find out which book is being depicted and read it or have an adult read it to them. Maybe each class could produce a display for all the other classes to 'trail' round towards the end of the week.