1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Literacy Unit Planning - Teaching unit 3 before 1&2, allowed?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by year6teacher93, Jun 26, 2011.

1. This is a silly question, if you don't mind me saying. You need to teach English. The Literacy Framework is a discredited piece of nonsense implicitly imposed on many schools. It never was a mandatory scheme of work. In other words, you can teach English in the manner you deem fit.
    Now if your school has managed to make the Framework work, fine. But you are the professional here; if you think that unit 3 works better before 1 and 2, then teach it first. If not, don't. Either way, just make sure you teach English the best way to your children and do them proud.
    I've thrown the Framework out entirely without any damage to my pupils' learning. Go on, be brave: trust your own judgement on this.

2. This!! Exactly!! Start with what your children NEED to learn, and what fits in with your topics, then go from there.

3. We follow the units and we did them in order but I really think Unit 3 could come first. If I was staying in Y4, I would definitely move it.